One of my friends declared for the NBA draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my friends declared for the NBA draft

I have him in a couple of my classes. He is a really great guy. He is really still completing work in classes, which is much more than a lot of student athletes.

VMI's Reggie Williams Declares for NBA Draft
    Salem-News.com SPORTS

Nation's leading scorer does not plan on hiring an agent as he explores options.
    Reggie Williams photo
    Reggie Williams led Division I in scoring in 2006-07 with 28.1 PPG. Photo courtesy: VMI Athletics

LEXINGTON, Va. - VMI junior forward Reggie Williams, who led Division I in scoring for the 2006-07 season, will declare for the 2007 NBA draft as an early entry.

The deadline for declaring as an early entry is 11:59 ET, April 29th.

Williams intends to test the draft waters without hiring an agent as he evaluates his prospects for the upcoming draft.

He has the option of changing his mind and returning for his senior season at VMI if he withdraws his name before the June 18th deadline.

The 2007 NBA Draft will take place June 28th in New York City.

"I am making myself available for the draft because I felt that I had a successful season and I would like to explore my options at the next level,” said Williams. “I do plan on returning to VMI to finish my education and receive my degree. I feel Coach Baucom and his staff have helped me develop to where I can be useful to a team at the next level."

In 33 games played last season, Williams topped Division I in scoring with a 28.1 points per game average and helped lead VMI to the Big South Conference tournament finals while being selected to the All-Tournament team. He was also named first team All-Big South Conference and NABC All-District 4 second team.

Williams set new Big South and VMI season records for most points with 928 and became the first BSC player to top 900 points in a season. He also became the first player in conference history last season to log three 40-point games in a career and topped the 40+ point mark in four games to go along with 11 double-doubles in 2006-07.

Williams also dished out a career-high 12 assists against Charleston Southern February 5th and scored in double figures in 32 of 33 games while producing 15 30+ point games during the year.

“We support Reggie in his decision to test the waters in the NBA,” said VMI head coach Duggar Baucom, who recruited and coached current Sacramento Kings starting guard and early draftee Kevin Martin while serving as an assistant coach at Western Carolina University. “Reggie has a strong desire to play at the next level and he has the talent to do so. We hope that this process works out for Reggie and should make him a better player whether he is in the NBA or at VMI next year.”

Williams was named three-time Big South Conference Player of the Week in 2006-07 and became the sixth player in League history with 1,500 career points and 500 rebounds.

In his three seasons at VMI, Williams has amassed 1,861 points which ranks third all-time in VMI history.

Williams becomes the first player in VMI basketball history to declare early for the NBA draft.

He will focus his efforts on gaining an invitation to the NBA Pre-Draft Camp that will be conducted from May 29th-June 4th in Orlando, Florida.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

I bet he's everyone's friend at VMI.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That's very cool. Sounds like one of the good guys.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Eh, there is a fairly strong anti-athlete sentiment at VMI since people are forced to go to all of the basketball and football games actually.
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

people are forced to go to all of the basketball and football games actually.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's kinda sad. Many people who would otherwise be happy to go out and support the teams when they have free time end up having a really negative attitude.

Comment

Working...
            X