Help me pick a signature quote for Tingkai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's time...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

- Luongo has stated that he doesn't want his d-men blocking shots and he wants the shots without a screen to come through so he can play the save.
      If you played you'd realize that saying don't block shots doesn't mean allowing the other team to take shots left right and center.

What it means is that instead of standing passively trying to block shots, the players should be playing agressively, challenging the puck carrier, battling for control and preventing the team from taking shots.

No team deliberately "allows" other teams to take shots.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
        If you played you'd realize that saying don't block shots doesn't mean allowing the other team to take shots left right and center.
        And if you went to school you'd realize that's not what I said.

No team deliberately "allows" other teams to take shots.
        They do when you have a chance to block the shot. You make a decision, do you allow the shot or do you block it? Most teams opt to block it these days, but this is not true for Vancouver with Luongo in net. This is my point.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Well, it's time...
          Yup

Since there were no great suggestions, I will have to craft something myself-- I should have something in 24 hours or so
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Whatever it is, it simply must slag Toronto.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

They do when you have a chance to block the shot. You make a decision, do you allow the shot or do you block it? Most teams opt to block it these days, but this is not true for Vancouver with Luongo in net. This is my point.
              The decision on whether to block a shot is made by the player in a split second, not by the team. And teams typically do not have rules on whether to block shots or not. Volchenkov with Ottawa leads the league for blocked shots (273) while Preissing doesn't block many (52).

Meanwhile, three Vancouver D-men blocked more than 100 shots this year so you can't say the Canucks don't block shots.

Your theory that not blocking shots leads to more shots on goal is also false. D-men who don't block shots find other ways to prevent shots. Meanwhile, teams like the Islanders and Atlanta that have d-men who block lots of shots also allow amogn the most shots against per game.

Luongo faces more shots because the Canucks play an open, fast flowing game, unlike the Flames last year, not because of whether d-men do, or do not block shots.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Here's my working draft for Tingkai-- If anyone has a last minute suggestion let me know

I acknowledge that the 2007 Toronto Maple Leafs, leading the league in overpaid defensive liabilities, are an inferior hockey team in all respects and wish the superior teams from Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa great success in the playoffs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty bland I know but I just couldn't bring myself to have him request vigorous homosexual lovemaking from Asher. IN many ways, being a Leafs fan is really punishment enough.
                Last edited by Flubber; April 11, 2007, 22:53.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The decision on whether to block a shot is made by the player in a split second, not by the team. And teams typically do not have rules on whether to block shots or not.
                  You're simply talking out of your ass if you don't think teams have policies to block shots. Compare Vancouver's blocked shots to, say, Edmonton's...

Perhaps this is what you do not understand

Meanwhile, three Vancouver D-men blocked more than 100 shots this year so you can't say the Canucks don't block shots.
                  They're bound to hit players once in a while. Care to explain which d-man drops to the ice to block shots on a regular basis? Because there aren't any.

Compare Vancouver's shot blocks to Edmonton's.

Your theory that not blocking shots leads to more shots on goal is also false.
                  I do not see why this is hard for you to understand.

If a d-man blocks a shot going towards the net, that shot does not go through -- thus negating a shot on goal. The aggregate effect of negating shots on goals is a reduction in the shots on goals. If a team has a policy, like Vancouver openly does and as Luongo has discussed in various interviews, not to block shots, more shots find their way to the goaltender -- thus an increased shot count.

Luongo faces more shots because the Canucks play an open, fast flowing game, unlike the Flames last year, not because of whether d-men do, or do not block shots.
                  Faces more shots than who? Luongo's faced less shots than Kipper in more games. Free-flowing my ass.

Comment

Flubb: For some strange reason, that's a very annoying sig.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Compare Vancouver's blocked shots to, say, Edmonton's...
                      The decision to block any shot is made by the player, on the ice, when the shot is made. At best, a coach can say block a shot if you can and when you need to block the shot.

Some d-men prefer blocking shots. Others prefer stopping shots by preventing shots from being made in the first place.

As for Edmonton, but there's only one Edmonton player in the top 30 d-men for blocking shots, three in the top 60, four in the top 90. So the oilers are statistically about average when it comes to blocking shots. If they had a team policy of blocking shots, they're not doing it very well.

Care to explain which d-man drops to the ice to block shots on a regular basis?
                      For some players, like Salming, it's part of their games. For others, like Lidstrom, it's not. Your point?

If a d-man blocks a shot going towards the net, that shot does not go through -- thus negating a shot on goal. The aggregate effect of negating shots on goals is a reduction in the shots on goals.
                      Yes, and lots of time the blocked shot deflects into the net or rebounds so more shots can be taken.

You need to think big picture, rather than a single moment in a game.

Players who try to block shots are reacting rather than controlling the game. They often become static, rather than challenging the other team.

They allow the shot, instead of preventing the shot.

The Islanders block a lot of shots, and yet they allow lots of shots on goal.

Meanwhile the Wings control the puck, thereby limiting shots.

Faces more shots than who?
                      Compared to Kippersoft last year. Remember, that's the comparison you made.

And do I really need to explain that the fact that Kipper faced a lot of shots this year has nothing to do with the Canuck's style of play.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Flubb: For some strange reason, that's a very annoying sig.
                        Then my work is done

Comment

The decision to block any shot is made by the player, on the ice, when the shot is made. At best, a coach can say block a shot if you can and when you need to block the shot.
                          As a fan of the Leafs, I can see why you do not understand the concept of coaching. Do you think coaches do not have policies for players to get down in front of shots?

Compared to Kippersoft last year. Remember, that's the comparison you made.

And do I really need to explain that the fact that Kipper faced a lot of shots this year has nothing to do with the Canuck's style of play.
                          I think the fact that you are disagreeing with Luongo on Vancouver's policy to not drop to block shots is gold, and I'm eager to hear more.

Comment

By the way. Last night the Canucks set a Playoff record for allowing the most shots on goal. That takes talent (not in a good way), or it relies on a system that perhaps inflates shot count...

Comment

Working...
                            X