No announcement yet.

Forbes Ranks Sports GMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have strange criteria, more business-oriented than sports. Holland was ranked low for having high payroll and low winning % improvement over predecessor. (So if you took over a team that was winning, you lose in the ranking formula.)

From a fan perspective long playoff runs and championships are bigger factors. There should be bonus points for those.

I wonder why they didn't just use improvement in value of the franchise rather than winning % improvement.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Here's The Hockey News' new rankings of NHL GMs...much better.

1. Ken Holland, Detroit
      2. Lou Lamoriello, New Jersey
      3. Brian Burke, Anaheim
      4. Darcy Regier, Buffalo
      5. Jim Rutherford, Carolina
      6. Jay Feaster, Tampa Bay
      7. David Poile, Nashville
      8. Darryl Sutter, Calgary
      9. Doug Risebrough, Minnesota
      10. Doug Wilson, San Jose
      11. Kevin Lowe, Edmonton
      12. Paul Holmgren, Philadelphia
      13. David Nonis, Vancouver
      14. John Muckler, Ottawa
      15. Bob Gainey, Montreal
      16. Garth Snow, N.Y. Islanders
      17. Ray Shero, Pittsburgh
      18. Dale Tallon, Chicago
      19. Don Waddell, Atlanta
      20. Doug Armstrong, Dallas
      21. Dean Lombardi, Los Angeles
      22. John Ferguson, Toronto
      23. George McPhee, Washington
      24. Glen Sather, N.Y. Rangers
      25. Peter Chiarelli, Boston
      26. Jacques Martin, Florida
      27. Francois Giguere, Colorado
      28. Mike Barnett, Phoenix
      29. Doug MacLean, Columbus
      30. Larry Pleau, St. Louis
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
        Has Daryl been in place for three years? Because that was a key criteria for being on the list.
        But not currently being a GM clearly wasn't.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Now that's a better list. Every time I look at the Forbes list, I see something else that just doesn't make sense.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The Forbes list is silly. As a baseball fan, I can see that their rankings of the baseball GMs make little sense.

Brian Sabean of the SF Giants is NOT a good GM. Yet he's ranked as one of the top baseball GMs, up there with Theo Epstein (good, but a bit overrated) and Omar Minyata (ditto). Billy Beane ranks highest, which is fine I suppose 'cause he IS good, but then again one could easily argue that Terry Ryan (Twins) is just as good and he ranks behind Mike Flanagan of the Orioles... the Os have been AWFUL for quite some time now (though admittedly Flanagan may not really be the guilty party) and have little excuse for that (they're not really poor).

Nonsensical, at least re: Baseball. I take it it's similar for the other sports.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

How many World Series has Oakland won with Billy Beane as GM?

In fact, except for advancing past the Twins in the first round before getting blanked by the Tigers, has Oakland done anything except for getting knocked out in the first round year after year in the early part of this decade?

I think he's a good GM, but certainly not the best.

Good starting pitching and guys with high OBP wins games... WOW... he's such a genius for figuring that out.

Wake me when Oakland does something in the playoffs.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                They have strange criteria, more business-oriented than sports. Holland was ranked low for having high payroll and low winning % improvement over predecessor. (So if you took over a team that was winning, you lose in the ranking formula.)

From a fan perspective long playoff runs and championships are bigger factors. There should be bonus points for those.

I wonder why they didn't just use improvement in value of the franchise rather than winning % improvement.
                Forbes is a business magazine, aren't they?
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, so? This is about sports.

OK, so they're taking a biz perspective. Still is strange to use winning % improvement. Also they don't seem to take into account long playoff runs, which mean more money coming in.

Injuries to key players could screw with the winning %, so that's another knock against that.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                  X