Say hello to on-field ads at Wrigley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say hello to on-field ads at Wrigley

Under Armour logo placement to "grace" doors amid the ivy...

Cubs show tradition the door with ad deal

By Paul Sullivan
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published February 14, 2007, 10:56 PM CST

MESA, Ariz. -- Bricks and ivy have made up most of the outfield walls at Wrigley Field for the last 70 years, but the Cubs will alter the ballpark's famous backdrop for at least the next two years with advertisements on the old green doors.

The Cubs announced a multiyear deal Wednesday with Under Armour, a sports apparel company, agreeing to place its logo and name on the outfield doors. Terms of the agreement were not announced, but the ads will be in place at least through 2008.
    Doesn't bother me in the least, so long as they spend the revenue on players...

Chicago Tribune article
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Under Armour artist's concept for how this will look...
    Attached Files
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Who cares?

We like being capitalists until it shows up on our SPORTS Teams? Who are, you know, in the business of making money?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Must capitalism wrap its tentacles around everything? Shouldn't tradition have some value? I mean, yeah, in the cosmic scheme of things, who gives a ****, but this is just... tacky. (I'm trying very hard not to go off on my standard rant here, made all the more difficult by the recent decisions of my hospital...)
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Must capitalism wrap its tentacles around everything?

Yes . Its the nature (and great gift, IMO) of capitalism. That it cuts through traditions.

Shouldn't tradition have some value?

Perhaps in the rules of the game (hard to sell them)... or when it can be sold (like Yankees/Red Sox) .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Who wants to be like the Yankees?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Exactly, Slow. Forget about all this BS 'tradition' stuff and that meaning no advertisements. It didn't kill the English Premier League (in fact it made it richer for hardly anything).

Minor league teams place ads all over the walls and no one complains.
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; February 15, 2007, 23:05.

Comment

If they're going to sell space, it should be minimal to the extreme, and the cost relative to that fact. Limited edition.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's on a door in the outfield... I mean really.

I bet you were complaining when they we thinking of putting lights in Wrigley.

Comment

THEY'RE PUTTING LIGHTS IN WRIGLEY FIELD??!!!!!!

Comment

hehe
                        I'm not a big fan of this idea, because I think the only reason people like the cubs is because of the architectural work that is Wrigley Field ... but honestly I'm a sox fan so, who cares
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

From the subject I thought it was gonna be about ads actually on the field, or virtually imposed like the line to make a 1st down.
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                            From the subject I thought it was gonna be about ads actually on the field, or virtually imposed like the line to make a 1st down.
                            Well, they actually do that (virtually imposed) on the area behind the catcher.

That's technically on the field, I guess .

Comment

Working...
                            X