Report: Andre Waters' suicide tied to brain damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Andre Waters' suicide tied to brain damage

The NFL really does need to address the issues of concussions. Time off the field after suffering one, as well as frequency.

January 18, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Brain damage caused on the football field ultimately led to the suicide of former NFL defensive back Andre Waters, according to a forensic pathologist who studied Waters' brain tissue.

Bennet Omalu of the University of Pittsburgh told The New York Times that Waters' brain tissue resembled that of an 85-year-old man and that there were characteristics of early stage Alzheimer's. Omalu told the newspaper he believed the damage was related to multiple concussions Waters sustained during his 12-year NFL career with the Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals.

Waters was 44 when he committed suicide last November.

Omalu said trauma was a significant factor in Waters' brain damage, "no matter how you look at it, distort it, bend it."

The pathologist also told the newspaper the signs of depression that family members described Waters as exhibiting in his final years likely was caused by the brain trauma. Had he lived, Omalu said, the former player would have been fully incapacitated within 10 years.

The Alzheimer's Association Web site reports "there appears to be a strong link between serious head injury and future risk of Alzheimer's." The statement did not distinguish between a single catastrophic trauma and lesser repetitive injuries.

"Whatever its cause, Andre Waters' suicide is a tragic incident and our hearts go out to his family," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday.

"The subject of concussions is complex. We are devoting substantial resources to independent medical research of current and retired players, strict enforcement of enhanced player safety rules, development and testing of better equipment, and comprehensive medical management of this injury. This work over the past decade has contributed significantly to the understanding of concussions and the advancement of player safety."

Omalu began his research at the request of Chris Nowinski, a former Harvard football player and professional wrestler whose career was ended by multiple concussions. After hearing of Waters' suicide, Nowinski called Waters' sister, Sandra Pinkney, and asked permission to do further investigation on her brother's remains.

Pinkney agreed. In mid-December, Nowinski shipped four pieces of Waters' brain from Florida to Omalu in Pennsylvania.

Nowinski chose Omalu because he had examined the brains of two former Pittsburgh Steelers players who were discovered to have brain trauma after sustaining concussions -- Mike Webster, who suffered brain damage and became homeless before dying of heart failure in 2002, and Terry Long, who killed himself in 2005.

Waters' family said they hope further research will change the way the NFL -- and all athletic organizations -- treat concussions.

"I just want there to be more teaching and for them to take the proper steps as far as treating them," Kwana Pittman, Waters' niece, told the newspaper. "Don't send them back out on those fields. They boost it up in their heads that, you know, 'You tough, you tough."'

Updated on Thursday, Jan 18, 2007 5:55 pm EST
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

wow, I had no idea he killed himself. I seem to remember him having a couple decent seasons.

And I heard just recently they are going to relax some of the stringent guidlines regarding concussions and returning to the game.

Comment

Does anyone else remember this segment about a dentist who had developed a special mouthpiece to help prevent concussions? It was awhile ago (a year?), probably on HBO Inside the NFL or Real Sports. IIRC some players in other sports used it, and it really helped. I think he contacted the NFL, but never heard back.

The NFL doesn't do a great job about taking care of players - especially EX-players.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I saw that, but I forget what program.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
          Does anyone else remember this segment about a dentist who had developed a special mouthpiece to help prevent concussions? It was awhile ago (a year?), probably on HBO Inside the NFL or Real Sports. IIRC some players in other sports used it, and it really helped. I think he contacted the NFL, but never heard back.

The NFL doesn't do a great job about taking care of players - especially EX-players.
          I agree to a certain extent.

The "NFL" is a league but the players within make up that league. It is a shame the players could not differentiate between a hard hit and an excessive or unnecessary hit.

Of course, the whole idea is to hit someone , a pure matter of physics and a large mass running one direction comes in contact with a moving mass headed in opposite direction, thye collide and they get hurt.

I am not sure if a complete system could ever be in place, certainly benchmarks need to be established for the gear.

I played Hockey and I competed actively in martial arts for years. One thing to hit something but quite another for an object to come full force at you and then collide with it.

Same when i was a Police Officer, an accident involving a single vehicle impacting a fixed,stationary object is terrible, but not nearly as bad as the force of two vehicle head on.

Bottom line, we have FOOTBALL players colliding, almost impossible to prevent all concussions.

Gramps
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

with all the millions the NFL pulls in

I am sure they can set up a program for injured ex players
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

The NHL are the ones who really need to put a clamp on players playing with concussions..

Keith Primeau was a Philadelphia Flyer who had to retire recently because of the number of concussions he has played through in the past 4 years.. His doctor told him he has done irreperable damage to his brain.. Its been over a year since Primeau stopped playing and he says his head still doesnt feel right.

Comment

Working...
              X