Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll make a Tigers fan of him yet. We are the English side whose style most resembles the All Blacks after all.

Cal is of course spot on – the forwards played superbly and the first try was a cracker.

Didn't they have some kind of drug-testing at the 95 RWC?
    Not universal testing as far as I know. Nor am I sure Union had subscribed to a rigorous testing regime back then as it was still technically an amateur game.

I’m actually not sure if big J was ever tested whilst an active player – maybe you Kiwi lads can help out on that one?

The details of the illness that destroyed his kidney function are even now still rather vague – there isn’t much concrete in the public domain?

He was a player worth the price of admission on his own back in 95 – but doubts are always going to surround his health problems I think.

So Tigers have elected to play the QF at Welford Road – but ticket prices go up 20% to compensate the loss of revenue from not moving the tie to the Walkers Stadium. I think I shall watch it on TV.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Something to make you choke on your McVittie's at morning tea:

Australian Sarah Corrigan is breaking new ground in rugby union by becoming the first woman in the world to officiate a men's international.

Corrigan has been appointed by the International Rugby Board as one of 14 referees for April's under-19 World Championship in Belfast.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Football has already taken that leap here - sadly it is inevitable. I really don't understand why women would want to officiate the mens game though?

The thin end of the wedge is when they inevitably use Equal Ops legislation to force combined teams on us. Now that will change the game as we know it.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

You'll pull the boots out of the back of the cupboard.

Something for you to choke on your afternoon-tea pork pie over: M. Catt is still in the squad.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Bizarre isn't it?

Ellis is back in favour too.

And it would be worth your reading up on Cohen - rumours are he was VERY unhappy at being dropped to the A side and has therefore asked not to be considered for the latter on the opening weekend.

Comment

I'll check it out.

In the meantime, no one mention the cricket.

EDIT. Where can I find something on B. Cohen?
              Last edited by finbar; January 26, 2007, 05:40.

Comment

Crickwhat? Damn Poms ruining Australia day like that - what will the Aussies do with the other 3/4 of the day now they have it suddenly free?

The BBC references Cohen briefly but the unofficial Saints message board is where it caused a little comment.

There is no trace of what the 'personal reasons' are for his withdrawal and much speculation it is a tantrum. Probably not worth your effort going to on reflection.

How about Brennan's defence which can be paraphrased as "He insulted me Ma so I fractured his skull". I guess Toulouse had to back their player but the vigourous defence they have launched is surprising?

Certainly the victim has denied this allegation and witness statements appear to support the victim.

A defence of 'verbal provocation' to justify a physical assault would be very unlikely to succeed in a court of law - let us see how rugby handles it.

Ironically Brennan's career was saved by moving to France. Because he had been in plenty of disciplinary trouble in Ireland before he left.

Comment

Beats me why he hasn't been charged by the cops.

Comment

It's the Mediteranean cost of France. The police are still responding to the initial phone call.

Comment

Waiting till they finish their Gauloise.

Sky Sports Extra chose to show nothing at all rather than show Leicester. Good taste, I thought. I made do with Saints -v- Bristol. Gee, Saints are crap. Must have had 90% of first half possession and couldn't do anything with it regardless of C. Spencer's presence. He looks vaguely lost, his field kicking ordinary, and his goal kicking appalling. I wonder how much he will enjoy Division 2. An intercept try from B. Lima fired up Bristol early in the second half and suddenly the game was a contest. I don't know how good Bristol really are. Great defence, good effort to overcome the loss of the #8, but a better team than Saints would have smashed them in the first half.

Comment

Yes Saints are a side in deep trouble. Fan rumour mongering suggests Franklins Gardens is not at all a happy camp. Thommo for example wants away to France despite having two whole years left on his Saints contract.

As a Tigers fan I sympathise massively with our East Midlands rivals of course.

I am so glad I only saw the ‘highlights’ of Bristol against Saints – ten minutes of poor rugger so I have to wonder what the other 70 were like?

How good are Bristol? Hard to say. They lack superstars but they certainly perform well as a team (Richard Hill has instilled a great team spirit in them). I would say however that Tigers 43-15 defeat of them shows where they truly lay in the hierarchy. But as we all know I have a certain bias.

Mr Wilkinson came on at 37 minutes on Saturday and lasted to the final whistle. Sadly he played behind a pack that was in full reverse so it was not an ideal return for him. The boy still clearly has class but was also very noticeably ring rusty – no surprise I guess? Expect him to be named in the 22 for Scotland however.

We enter the Six nations with Tigers where I like to see them – on top of the pile. Now it gets interesting as we lose half our squad to call ups. Only in England do we continue the domestic league during internationals.

And such a shame for the SH that S14 starts the same weekend as the six nations – it means the first six rounds of S14 will pass without UK fans even noticing the results – we will be far too focused on our own tournament for the duration.

Tigers have their man – Aaron Mauger will join us straight after the RWC on a two and a half year deal. A decent signing methinks.

Comment

Yes, yes. But symptomatic, surely, of one of English rugby's problems.

Comment

I have to agree.

I do rather expect the centres named later today for the Scotland game to be Andy Farrell and Mike Tindall. That would reinforce your point.

Comment

As you predicted. Are you B. Ashton? If you are, you've pretty much gone for more of the same of A. Robinson's silliness. J. Robinson on the wing? One trick pony. And I can't believe you're starting J. Wilkinson. Shades of the Lions tour.

Comment

I'm actually still in shock for calling a selection decision correctly.

Robinson is a huge gamble - he isn't even fit (neck problems). Ashton could end up looking a bit stupid as Varndell is still scoring tries for fun in the League and whilst not a complete player yet he is a far greater threat than Robbo. I'd play him against Scotland.

Wilkinson. hmmm. Tempted to agree with you. Official line is that he has impressed in training. To be honest at Tigers last week you could tell he was still class but he was also ever so slightly off the pace too. He may well excel against Scotland - but there are bigger tests to come.

For now I am going to say I am happy with his selection - because Jonno has backed it (he thinks Jonny will help galvanise the team) and I never disagree with Martin as you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X