Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing at Gloucester Finbar is that the incumbent (Azam) has a year left on his deal AFAIK whilst Titterall is joining them fresh from Sale at the same time as Paul arrives. Titterall got relegated behind a workmanlike French hooker at Sale and voted with his feet.

Even though they had horrendous injury problems I think the final league position for Sale (10th) indicated the success of PSA stuffing the team full of non-international French players.

I was perhaps unlucky with the 2001 Lions. It was a high profile tour and the Aussie media were chumming the water constantly to bring out the far right element of Aussie sports fan. I met these rabid fans in large numbers. The only place on the whole tour I met a majority of decent rugger-buggers was at Cairns rugby club where we watched Lions midweekers beat Brumbies (with the infamous first meeting of Plank and VD).

Met a few decent types in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney – most often in various bars – but the test days were dominated by the numpties sadly. I’ll never forget the idiot crowing after Melbourne how “you put together six nations and still couldn’t beat us”. You don’t need that kind of idiot following Union in ANY country (I know I have related this one before but he was so monumentally stupid to say it that it stands regular repetition).

The question with Australia for me would be is the media reflecting the audience by ignoring the existence of the NH or are the audience reflecting the insular attitude of the media (or it’s owners)?

Give me UK coverage any day – even with Wino Barnes - where commentators and pundits can and do reference the existence of SH teams and the skills of their players. They way the ABs are losing the core of their team after the RWC is constantly drawing comment here for example. Chris Jack’s signing for Sarries has been met by sheer bemusement for example (everyone thought he was more ambitious to win silverware up here).
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• In that case I have even less idea why J. Paul went to Gloucester. Heck, he doesn't throw any worse than G. Chuter, he could have gone to you.

I'm not going to defend the average Australian rugby fan. As distinct from the discerning one. There are many more of the former than the latter. Cripes, I fled the country to escape, amongst other things, the simple-minded, immature, self-conscious nationalism that these people represent. All fostered by the reactionary Government. It's "unaustralian" to believe that the place is anything other than heaven on earth.

Tee-hee. Ho ho. The ARU is now contemplating allowing one foreign player - ineligible for Wallaby selection - per S14 team. Why? Lack of depth in Oz rugby. This from the mob who wanted the extra S14 franchise because the depth in Oz rugby required it. Dills.

EDIT. Forgot the last bit. I don't know who has the 6 Nations telecast rights in Australia. If anyone. I'm sure Sky could buy them if they wanted them. There would certainly be an audience. It's the arrogance of the broadcasters. In the same way that the 7 Network has treated rugby with utter contempt. Even when they had the rights to S12 (that's pre-S14) games not involving Australian teams, they wouldn't show them. And, for the most part, they were outside key ratings timeslots, so it would have cost them nothing. They were even showing S12 games involving Australian teams on delay at midnight.
      Last edited by finbar; May 17, 2007, 13:03.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• He may not throw any worse than hard hat George but he has never offered the ball carrying presence of the G lad in the loose either.

I wouldn't ask you to defend the numpties any more than I would want to defend the Prawn Sandwich mob - we neither of us represent that demographic of our countryfolk.

It did shock me how rudely we were received in some quarters in Oz - and as you are well aware it left a lasting impression on me. The only place I had ever received such rudeness before was Wales on a few occassions (sorry jka - but I doubt it surprises you that sometimes the English get a poor welcome?). The Kiwis were (rightfully) scathing of the performance of the Lions but all the lads I know who went say that they were generally received very politely by the kiwis themselves.

So if the broadcasters are choosing not to buy the rights it would be a media led blackout of NH rugby. I find that easy enough to believe having caught some Channel 7 myself and sat amazed at the style - "he is the Aussiest Aussie bloke in the world and the best at his craft (ranked 3567th in the world but everyone above him is a cheat or lucky)".

But then Sky UK is not blameless - it keeps giving air time to Stuart Barnes and Dayglo thereby legitimising their blinkered views
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• It's turning into a cliche, but the Sharks have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. With time up on the clock, Habana made a brilliant run to score the winning try for the Bulls (which was then converted). Final score Bulls 20, Sharks 19.

What a thrilling finish. I only tuned in for the last 10 minutes, but I'm glad I did.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• You caught the best part of the match. The other 75 minutes were pretty dire - error-riddled, chaotic, undisciplined. Against most expectations, the Sharks overpowered the Bulls, destroying their scrum on more than a couple of occasions and creating turnovers at breakdowns with big forward efforts.

The Sharks should have won, missing an easy conversion that would have sealed the match prior to the Habana try. OTOH, Habana shouldn't even have been on the ground. In the opening minutes, he took out Percy Montgomery in the air in the most blatant, dangerous fashion. It was lucky Montgomery landed on his shoulder and not his head. In any other game, it would have been a red card. He got a warning.

Sky isn't showing Leicester-v-Wasps today. They're showing an Italian club match instead.

So if the broadcasters are choosing not to buy the rights it would be a media led blackout of NH rugby. I find that easy enough to believe having caught some Channel 7 myself and sat amazed at the style - "he is the Aussiest Aussie bloke in the world and the best at his craft (ranked 3567th in the world but everyone above him is a cheat or lucky)".
            No, it's just that they, in their wisdom, probably think it wouldn't draw a big enough audience. Don't confuse nationalism with stupidity. Though they are often fellow travellers. But not in this case.
            Last edited by finbar; May 20, 2007, 04:05.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• As to the other match on the weekend ... mmmmmmmmmmm. Wish I'd seen it.

Comment

• And Eddie Jones has quit the Reds - no surprise - and is off to England.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                  You caught the best part of the match. The other 75 minutes were pretty dire - error-riddled, chaotic, undisciplined. Against most expectations, the Sharks overpowered the Bulls, destroying their scrum on more than a couple of occasions and creating turnovers at breakdowns with big forward efforts.

The Sharks should have won, missing an easy conversion that would have sealed the match prior to the Habana try. OTOH, Habana shouldn't even have been on the ground. In the opening minutes, he took out Percy Montgomery in the air in the most blatant, dangerous fashion. It was lucky Montgomery landed on his shoulder and not his head. In any other game, it would have been a red card. He got a warning.
                  Yup, the Sharks definitely should have won. It was on their home ground, so there is no excuse for missing the easy conversion.

It sounds like Habana should have at least have gotten a yellow, so a warning is rather surprising. I suppose the ref claimed he didn't see it? Or perhaps he fell on the mercy of a soft-hearted touch judge.

Comment

• No, everyone saw it. I think the ref - Havak's best mate, S. Walsh - decided that the opening minute of a final - pressure, nerves, etc - wasn't the time to red card a player. B. Habana has since said that he probably should have been sent off but claims it was an accident.

Dunno where Havak is today. Probably trying to dye his Leicester shirt into Wasps colours.

Comment

• A day without Havak posting in the rugby thread would be like a day without...

Comment

• Booked the day off for recovery time chaps.

Losing to Wasps is always painful – but failing to even turn up was sheer agony.

And the worst of it – they thoroughly deserved the win. They executed their gameplan well and played the ref superbly – Tigers did neither.

And now we are guilty of foisting on the world another 12 months of Dallaglio self promotion. Despite their fifth place finish in the league he is now touting them as the best club side ever – and it is entirely our fault he has the platform to spout such c*** again.

Comment

• Look on the bright side. Sean Fitzpatrick has finally put his finger on England's rugby problems - the players are too fat.

Comment

• He said that? Has he heard the proverb about the pot and the kettle?

Now for the next disaster...

England: M Brown (Harlequins); D Strettle (Harlequins), M Tait (Newcastle), A Farrell (Saracens), J Robinson (Sale Sharks, capt); J Wlkinson (Newcastle), P Richards (Gloucester); N Wood (Gloucester), M Regan (Bristol) S Turner (Sale), D Schofield (Sale), A Brown (Gloucester), C Jones (Sale), A Hazell (Gloucester), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: M Cairns (Saracens), D Crompton (Bristol), R Winters (Bristol), P Sanderson (Worcester), A Gomarsall (Harlequins), T Flood (Newcastle), I Balshaw (Gloucester).

That is a squad strong in places but horribly weak in others. The Boks will murder them.

I wonder when was the last time an England squad featured no Bath, Wasps or Tigers players?

Comment

• I don't know a lot of those names. I wish them luck. After the S14 effort, the Boks are going to be on a high. Oh, and V. Matfield is in the mightiest form of his career in line outs. I hope England have something of substance up against him.

Comment

• Well yes...and no.

Brown is a fine lock - but Schofield of Sale has never convinced me. And our hooker is a desperation pick to be honest.

The coal face is weak and the back row forwards lack balance.

Fantastic stand off though - and an interesting mix in the centres with Farrell at 12 and Tait at 13. Won't matter if the pack doesn't get them ball of course - and I suspect it will struggle.

I wonder if that SH writer now says a strong Wasps mean good things for England in the RWC? Just for interests sake Wasps two tries were scored by an irishman and a Frenchman.

Oh and both were scored down Chuters channel direct from line outs. Angry? You bet I was.

Comment

Working...
                                X