Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides, you should like Bradshaw. He was happy to get his QB rating up into the 80's just like your boy Vick...

Unitas is.

No. Wasn't even the best of his era. Bart Starr was better...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Unitas >>> Starr
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• You can't **** with 5 NFL championships and two Super Bowl titles. I'll take a proven winner over a stat machine on any given Sunday.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Starr was good at handing off the ball... which is nice, but Unitas was a better QB. Interestingly, Starr's best year for passing yards was eclipsed by Unitas 10 times during his career... and most of those 10 years it wasn't even close.

Someone had to hand off in those great Packers teams I guess. Hornung and Taylor weren't going to take direct snaps.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Starr was a great passer. You'd know that if you were smart enough to look at something other than passing yards.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Most overrated great quarterback: Johnny Unitas. Most underrated: Bart Starr. I made this point more than a year ago, but all the sentimental postmortems of Unitas' career make it necessary to reiterate a few facts. First, while Unitas was undeniably one of the three or four or five greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, he has been vastly overrated as a big-game player. The legendary 1958 and 1959 title-game victories over the New York Giants weren't merely the most famous championship games that Unitas ever won, they were the only championship games that Unitas ever won. Johnny U's entire 1960s career was one long frustrating attempt to live up to that early big-game glory. He never came close, a fact which seems to have eluded otherwise astute NFL historians such as Paul Zimmerman and Peter King.

Second, Bart Starr dominated Unitas in head-to-head matchups during the 1960s, winning 10 of 15 straight up and consistently beating the teams Unitas couldn't (for instance, the Jim Brown-led Cleveland Browns of the mid-sixties and the '67 "Fearsome Foursome" L.A. Rams). At the time, it was argued that Starr's success was due to the marked superiority of the Packers over the Colts from 1960 to 1967, but a quick glance at the record shows us that isn't true. Over that eight-year span, the Packers won just a handful more games than the Colts. The Packers won five championships in those eight years to the Colts' none, primarily because the Packers -- primarily because of Bart Starr -- were better in big games. At one point, in '65 and '66, they beat the Colts five straight times.

Overrated: Johnny Unitas, the 1996-2001 Yankees and John McEnroe. Underrated: Bart Starr, the 1996-2001 Yankees and Steffi Graf.

Bart Starr = Tom Brady

Johnny Unitas = Peyton Manning
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Hey, when you team runs successfully all day, it can help your completion percentage when you actually decide to throw... just ask Ben Roethlisburger.

Comment

• Excuses, excuses...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col...ted/index.html
                    Mr. Barra also has this gem:

Another unfair S.I. overrated is Joe Namath, because his post-Super Bowl career was, well, overrated. That is not to the point. Everyone knows what Namath was capable of before his knees began to give out. For two or perhaps three seasons he was clearly the best in the game and would have remained so if not for injury.

Clearly the best in the game for 2 or 3 seasons? Consider Namath only had two years in which he threw for more TDs than Ints, and both of those he barely did so. Now his SuperBowl season was clearly his best year with 4007 yards, but with 26 TDs to 18 Ints and 52% completion percentage, but the yardage numbers and TDs were a huge outlier and he never came close before or since.

And this is who you want to trust on overrated vs. underrated?

Comment

• His previous column on Starr vs. Unitas was just as convincing.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mrmitchell
                        I want San Diego to win, but it will probably be the Pats
                        I want Philly to win, but it will probably be the Saints
                        I want the Colts to win. They have a good chance.
                        And Chicago will win. Period.
                        Typical liberal thinking... what the hell does it MEAN????

Are the bold faced teams your picks?

If not, it looks to me like the only game you actually picked was the Bear game.

What do you guys think?
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• I want to see everyone jumping on the Saints bandwagon. The Bears play SO much better when they're being dissed. (Ex: Seattle and Giants games)

Siege mentality rules!
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• APOLYTON PLAYOFF PICK'EM!!!

6-2 Imran
                            6-2 Jaguar
                            6-2 Zopperoni
                            6-2 mrmitchell (somehow, he picked EVERYBODY last week!!!)
                            5-3 -Jrabbit
                            5-3 Slowwhand
                            4-4 Donegeal
                            4-4 Darsnan
                            4-4 reismark
                            4-4 Jonny
                            4-4 joncha
                            3-5 Ozzy
                            3-5 Ned
                            3-5 Ben Kenobi
                            0-8 Ming

A few notes:
                            Jaguar... of everybody up there... I want you to win.
                            Imran... hell, I'd even want you to win. But please! SOMEONE BEAT...
                            Zopperoni!
                            mrmitchell... make a pick and stick with, you pansy...
                            Ming... stellar job once again!
                            Last edited by Donegeal; January 15, 2007, 12:13.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal

Typical liberal thinking... what the hell does it MEAN????

Are the bold faced teams your picks?

If not, it looks to me like the only game you actually picked was the Bear game.

What do you guys think?
                              I'm pretty sure the bolded teams are his picks.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• And this is definitely not my year for picks (i stunk up my regular season pool too) but my picks are:

Saints
                                Colts
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X