Competitive Martial Artists in past 25 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitive Martial Artists in past 25 years

In the past 25 years who are some of the best competitive martial artists?

I remember some 25 years ago Bill "Superfoot" Wallace who I chose his nickname when I was active in competition because of the sheer speed of his kicking ability and also power.

Jean Yves Terriault back in the 1980's ruled the middle weights and was a gentleman to boot.

Joe Corley helped form the P.K.A.

Frank Dux was the real deal when I watch Bloodsport and followed his career he did it with no holds barred.

Then in maybe late 1990's early 2000 MMA-UFC Joyce Gracie showed everyone how to make a mockery of kickers. It opened my heart and eyes to grappling and groundwork.

I remember me and David Floyd would have some nice point-counter points about Martial Arts.

I watched many P.K.A. fighters be successful but most probably wouldn't stand a chance against the likes of Ken Shamrock or someone of his level of experience.

Lets hear from those who appreciated competitive Martial Arts. I am not specifically asking who would beat who (No this is not a Chuck Norris versus Godzilla or Bruce Lee vs Mr. Miagi thread)

Bruce K.Cronkite a.k.a. Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

I've been watching the UFC on Spike TV. Occasionally I see Pride fights on FSN (I think), but not as often.

I find MMA very interesting with the mixture of standup and ground fighting, KOs & submissions.

Royce Gracie with the Gracie (Brazilian) jiu-jitsu was quite an eye-opener. (Saw replays of his early UFC fights.) A relatively skinny guy, wearing the gi, taking guys to the ground, wrapping them up & submitting them.

Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
      I've been watching the UFC on Spike TV. Occasionally I see Pride fights on FSN (I think), but not as often.

I find MMA very interesting with the mixture of standup and ground fighting, KOs & submissions.

Royce Gracie with the Gracie (Brazilian) jiu-jitsu was quite an eye-opener. (Saw replays of his early UFC fights.) A relatively skinny guy, wearing the gi, taking guys to the ground, wrapping them up & submitting them.

Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
      Yeah Liddel man I been watching him he is awesome indeed solid as a rock!

Gramps

Comment

I just watched one of the greats and that is what he was..was and that is Rick the Jet Roufus.

I remember how brass and unprofessional albeit a great fighter but as a sportman lacked the class of Jean Yves Terriault Rick Roufus was but he beat Terriault.

Tonight I saw Ruofus go down to Carter Williams an up and comer K-1 fighter.

How times do come a calling for payment.

Once you climbing the hill, then on top then fall off

Gramps

Comment

I saw some K-1 fight replays on ESPN2 today. One was between Ernesto Hoost and some huge 6'11' guy. Hoost targeted the guy's back leg (the left, as he fought southpaw). In the clinch he kneed that leg. And in the 3rd rd he kicked the leg, and the guy went down. The guy got up, but the ref called it, as it was clear he couldn't continue. Never seen a KO from a leg kick before.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
            I saw some K-1 fight replays on ESPN2 today. One was between Ernesto Hoost and some huge 6'11' guy. Hoost targeted the guy's back leg (the left, as he fought southpaw). In the clinch he kneed that leg. And in the 3rd rd he kicked the leg, and the guy went down. The guy got up, but the ref called it, as it was clear he couldn't continue. Never seen a KO from a leg kick before.
            Yeah thats what I was watching

Man the dude was HUGE!! but Ernesto Hoost lost to him then the big guy had a broken finger and Hoost went to championship round where he fought the French guy i believe and his arm gave out which was probably a dislocated shoulder or rotator cup

a roundhouse or turning kick if done properly uses aa full twisting motion of the trunk of the torso and lets it loose on the target.

I loved those fights!!

Gramps

Comment

Did you see the fight between 5'11" Mike McDonald and 6'6" Pavel Majer? The big guy had been bull rushing all his previous opponents, but he wasn't in the final bout. Maybe he tasted some of McDonald's power early, so was more cautious?

Then when he finally did rush in and had McDonald backing up, McDonald got a high front kick up, and the guy turned away and pulled a no mas. On the replays it looked like he got kicked in the chest/shoulder, and an announcer was wondering if it was a broken collarbone, but then Majer raised his left hand halfway to wave "I'm done." Strange.

Comment

People dont know who dont compete or train, but when you are training 1000 kicks a night over say 5 different kicks on each leg (side kicks, round house/turning kicks,front snap kicks,hook kicks to name a few) when you land one squarely it does signifigant damage and then you have transferance of energy from point "A" to where you train to send it.

Love watching competitive martial arts

Comment

Re: Competitive Martial Artists in past 25 years

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Frank Dux was the real deal when I watch Bloodsport and followed his career he did it with no holds barred.
                  I thought Dux was considered a bit of a fraud/ bullsh1tter in MA circles?

Comment

Re: Re: Competitive Martial Artists in past 25 years

Originally posted by reds4ever

I thought Dux was considered a bit of a fraud/ bullsh1tter in MA circles?
                    Never heard that.

I will say that often Masters are judged by how much they compete not what they know.

Gramps

Comment

Do a search on Usenet, they're a lot of conflicting opinions on his skills/ integrity.

Comment

This is what searching for "Frank Dux" turns up on Google Groups.

Comment

Unfortunate that he's a fraud, but nonetheless I like Bloodsport a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                            This is what searching for "Frank Dux" turns up on Google Groups.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?ln...en&q=frank+dux
                            Fair enough

For as many positive articles it seems even more shadow reports

As long as no one tells me Kung Fu Theatre was not real from the 1970's

(You know, three oriental dudes, talking to one anohter..Bobby, Jack and Mike are their names with a little dub in problem)

Comment

Ah, Kung Fu Theater.

I don't remember the name of the movie, but it the bad guy had long white hair - even his eyebrows - and he was invincible, except for his vulnerable spot (his belly?), which was also only vulnerable for a couple hours in the afternoon (or something like that). The good guy goes to fight him, gets his butt kicked, but manages to get away.

He heals up, trains hard, and goes back to fight the bad guy. He does better this time, and finally strikes the bad guy in the spot. Bad guy laughs. "I see you have been training. But I have been training, too - and I have learned to move my vulnerable spot!" Good guy is demoralized, fights on, but cannot win, gets killed.

Fortunately, he has a son....

Comment

Working...
                              X