Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I send the men to pick up your bread machine?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
      If you are incapable of seeing how the discussion developed, and you want to pick up Asher's dirty laundry, fine.

That's how I'll treat your comments.
      It seems you are incapable of distinguishing between two people that share some but nowhere near all of a set of opinions about the Flames.

How a discussion developed doesn't change the opinions that I express. you are free to treat them as you wish

Originally posted by notyoueither

Let's discuss your parade maps.

The Flames have been hot for a bit, but are nowhere near secure in a playoff spot. A player could get hurt, Vancouver or a few other teams could get it together, the Flames could miss the playoffs.
      I agree fully although I see that happening only if they had major injuries to Iginla or Kipper-- NObody else is key enough. I would guess that that would be the case for all but a few elite few teams.

personally while I believe the Flames are a good team, I do not yet place them in that elite. They do not have a reliable proven backup goalie and while secondary scoring is up from the Defense and the 2nd line , there isn't ANY offense form the 3rd and 4th line guys. The defense however is very deep. Phaneuf and Hamrlik have been amazing and they have 8 guys that can play and play well. If Robin Regher could return to his all star form( he still seems off to me) it could get real impressive

Its a team on balance that I think is good enough to win their division-- Is it guaranteed ??-- hell no!! BUt the Flames have been more than hot lately-- They are just not winning games by fluke or Kipper stealing a 1-0 undeserved win.... They are actually dominating teams and looking like the clearly better team-- You will remember this is exactly the type of thing they were NOT doing in their early wins and I commented on THAT at the time too.

The other big hurdle for the Flames is road play. They have SUCKED on the road. But even there, the efforts in Edmonton and Minn were good ones that came up short which was an improvement from early efforts where they got rolled. They now face a 6 game road trip. If they can achieve 3-4 wins in that swing, you know they have arrived.

Again its not enough to plan parade routes but it would be a sign that they would be a team that could be a force to be reckoned with
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Anyone know why my ignore list would no longer work? Given the last few pages where I can see posts by NYE and Asher I miss it already

And for the record, like I am sure Flubber would say that Asher doesn't speak for all Flames fans, I would like to clarify that NYE doesn't speak for all Oiler fans.

I wonder if we took the BS out of these threads how many posts they would have?

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

It seems you are incapable of distinguishing between two people that share some but nowhere near all of a set of opinions about the Flames.
          It seems you are incapable of distinguishing between a serious discussion and trolling with Asher. He says the stupidest things, and repeats them indefinitely. Eventually a response comes. Feel free to step into the middle.

How a discussion developed doesn't change the opinions that I express. you are free to treat them as you wish
          I will, when you take a reply to Asher and respond to it looking for a meaningful, or friendly, discussion. Here's a hint, there's nothing friendly there.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
            Anyone know why my ignore list would no longer work? Given the last few pages where I can see posts by NYE and Asher I miss it already

And for the record, like I am sure Flubber would say that Asher doesn't speak for all Flames fans, I would like to clarify that NYE doesn't speak for all Oiler fans.

I wonder if we took the BS out of these threads how many posts they would have?

* Sparrowhawk
            Aww, muffin.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
              I agree fully although I see that happening only if they had major injuries to Iginla or Kipper-- NObody else is key enough. I would guess that that would be the case for all but a few elite few teams.

personally while I believe the Flames are a good team, I do not yet place them in that elite. They do not have a reliable proven backup goalie and while secondary scoring is up from the Defense and the 2nd line , there isn't ANY offense form the 3rd and 4th line guys. The defense however is very deep. Phaneuf and Hamrlik have been amazing and they have 8 guys that can play and play well. If Robin Regher could return to his all star form( he still seems off to me) it could get real impressive

Its a team on balance that I think is good enough to win their division-- Is it guaranteed ??-- hell no!! BUt the Flames have been more than hot lately-- They are just not winning games by fluke or Kipper stealing a 1-0 undeserved win.... They are actually dominating teams and looking like the clearly better team-- You will remember this is exactly the type of thing they were NOT doing in their early wins and I commented on THAT at the time too.

The other big hurdle for the Flames is road play. They have SUCKED on the road. But even there, the efforts in Edmonton and Minn were good ones that came up short which was an improvement from early efforts where they got rolled. They now face a 6 game road trip. If they can achieve 3-4 wins in that swing, you know they have arrived.

Again its not enough to plan parade routes but it would be a sign that they would be a team that could be a force to be reckoned with
              I'm sorry, dude, but the teams the Flames are catching up to are or have been wracked by injuries to key players.

Other teams are gelling, or getting better, as well as the Flames.

This does not bode well for the playoffs.

I don't think anyone in the NW should reserve playoff tickets, let alone plan parades.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It seems you are incapable of distinguishing between a serious discussion and trolling with Asher. He says the stupidest things, and repeats them indefinitely. Eventually a response comes. Feel free to step into the middle.
                  I am quite aware of asher and you and your posting styles. Generally I ignore the overblown rhetoric and post what I want when I want. Thta will include agreeing with some of what Asher says when I happen to agree. I thought that was the point of a discussion forum. If you want private discussions with asher, you can just take it to PMs

Originally posted by notyoueither

I will, when you take a reply to Asher and respond to it looking for a meaningful, or friendly, discussion. Here's a hint, there's nothing friendly there.
                  WEell since I and I suspect some others prefer real hockey talk to the permanent state of war between you too-- EXCUUUUUSE ME for trying to talk hockey

Comment

• nye just gets hostile when he gets upset. He thinks I say stupid stuff, yet he claims Hemsky > Tanguay. Meanwhile I make claims such as Iginla > Gionta.

Draw your own conclusions.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Iginla > Smyth, FWIW.

Iginla > Smyth
                      Kiprusoff > Roloson
                      Phaneuf >>>>>>>>>>>> Smith
                      Hamrlik >>>>>>>>>>>> Tjarnqvist
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm sorry, dude, but the teams the Flames are catching up to are or have been wracked by injuries to key players.

Other teams are gelling, or getting better, as well as the Flames.

This does not bode well for the playoffs.

I don't think anyone in the NW should reserve playoff tickets, let alone plan parades.
                        You really need to stop blaming injuries for all of your woes. The Oil were inconsistent before the injuries, and even after the injuries the problem is way bigger than a couple of injuries to your forwards.

Your defense is terrible, you can't clear the puck out of your own end to generate an offensive rush. Your goaltending is starting to cool off (as to be expected with an old guy who never played a full season as a starter before). And the Oil were supposed to be huge on scoring by committee but apparently your players didn't get the memo.

No, the Oil's problems run far deeper than a couple of injuries. And when you start blaming the entire team's problems on an injury to a player like Hemsky -- a player with fairly low point output (what is it, 18 points?) and is not even a +1, it becomes obvious when you're digging for excuses.

Comment

• For all of the talk about the Flames scoring problems, let's compare them to the Oil's vaunted offense.

Flames:
                          Goals for per game: 2.89
                          Goals against per game: 2.32

Oilers:
                          Goals for per game: 2.76
                          Goals against per game: 2.60

Top 3 offensive players:
                          Flames:
                          Iginla: 1.32 points per game, +13
                          Tanguay: 1.00 points per game, +14
                          Daymond Langkow: 0.96 points per game, +9

Oilers:
                          Sykora: 0.93 points per game, EV
                          Ryan Smyth: 0.88 points per game, +1
                          Jarret Stoll: 0.73 points per game, +3

Defensive top two:
                          Flames:
                          Phaneuf: 0.67 points per game, +16
                          Hamrlik: 0.43 points per game, +15

Oilers:
                          Tjarnqvist: 0.44 points per game, EV
                          Bergeron: 0.40 points per game, +3

Goaltending:
                          Kiprusoff:
                          sv%: 0.929
                          GAA: 2.04
                          SHO: 4

Roloson:
                          sv%: 0.920
                          GAA: 2.40
                          SHO: 3

Seems to me the Flames are better categorically. What should be alarming to you is that our third-best scorer is still outscoring your marquee forward.

Comment

• But Asher all that won't matter a whole bunch if the Flames don't improve on the road. They are 12-3-0 at home and 3-7-3 on the road. And they are 0-3-1 in their last 4.

Those 4 games were

a 2-1 Loss to the Oil-- a good effort actually-- even NYE thought the Flames had the better of the play but Rolosen was amazing

a 3-1 loss to the KINGS-- probably the Flames worst outing on the season

a 5-3 loss to the Ducks-- well it was the Ducks-- everyone seems to lose to them

a 3-2 SO loss to MInn-- actually this was a very good Flames effort. They gave up 6 powerplays in the first period and MInn scored twice. Then the Flames dominated every aspect of the rest of the game but the Minn goalie was amazing. The shootout?? Well for some reason Kipper was inept in shootouts last year and he looked no better this time out

So its weird-- The Flames are on a 10 game home winning streak at the very same time that they are on a 4 game road winless streak

Comment

• The road play will come around, I'm not worried. It's not a fundamental problem with the team, which Edmonton and Toronto need to deal with.

Comment

• and Asher

in fairness you have to acknowledge that the Flames have not been hit as badly by injuries as the Oil.

Although I believe that people that do not watch the Flames closely would not appreciate the importance of losing Yelle for weeks, his injury plus the short ones to Zuyzun and Warrener have been about it in terms of notable injuries.

But then again I really think that only losing Iginla or Kipper would be a HUGE blow to the team. Losing the likes of Tanguay, would also hurt given his recent play. Phaneuf, Hamrlik or Regehr?? Losing any one of them could hurt a bit but the other two could shoulder a big load and there are 5 other dmen that have played solidly

Comment

Working...
                                X