This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaguar
    Colston's the better story, sure. Their production is more or less equivalent.

Addai has 867 yards rushing, 259 receiving.
    Colston has 917 receiving.

That's more or less a tossup. There are still three games left. I think they're pretty far ahead of the rest of the pack, but either one of them could end up the most productive.

Honorable mentions to Maurice Jones-Drew of the Jags, Jerious Norwood of the Falcons, and Marcus McNeill of the Chargers.
    what about Reggie Bush? 78 receptions for 787 yds. and 405 yds. rushing with 7 TDs(total).

Or Vince Young, Not GREAT stats but he's now 6-4 as a starter on a team that was supposed to suck!

It's not that cut and dry.

Before you call me a homer WRT Young, look at last years college FB threads, I've always been a doubter. But, he's really starting to impress me.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Bush has been more or less the worst running back in the league at actually running the football.

Young's a great passer from the shotgun already, but he's absolutely awful under center.

Both of them have a ways to go, but they're absolutely sick in potential.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• I do find it amusing that people that slagged off Vick are falling over themselves in praising Vince Young . Young has worse passing numbers than Vick did in his first year starting, but is winning games with his legs and quick thinking, kind of like how Vick did/does (recall in Vick's first full year as a starter he had that 40+ yard TD run against Minny in OT) .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Vick isn't in his first year. He's regressed.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Even in his 'regression', he's never had as bad numbers as Young as this year. Now Young will get better, but there is no guarantee (and I haven't seen anything that indicates different) that he'll be anything more than a QB with a passer rating in the 70s or low 80s.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Bears won't beat Cowboys or Saints with Grossman at QB. End of story. Bears management insists on putting load on Grossman over running game. Grossman makes a good secomd strimg QB that you try to upgrade.
              If the "good" Rex does not return very early tonight, we are going to see Griese.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Vince Young reminds me a lot of that QB in Philly who could always get the first down himself unless the defense spied a LB on him but was, at least initially, only a so-so passer. Now, if Vince Young could pass like Steve Young, who also had the moves, we would have another Hall of Famer.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                  If the "good" Rex does not return very early tonight, we are going to see Griese.
                  You could be correct. While Lovie has been defending Rex all week with his normal "he's the starter" crap, Fox sports has been reporting that if bad Rex shows up in the first half of the game tonight, Griese will come out in the second half and become the starter from here on out. About time...
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Griese got more reps in practice with the first team this week. That tells you everything you need to know.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      I do find it amusing that people that slagged off Vick are falling over themselves in praising Vince Young . Young has worse passing numbers than Vick did in his first year starting, but is winning games with his legs and quick thinking, kind of like how Vick did/does (recall in Vick's first full year as a starter he had that 40+ yard TD run against Minny in OT) .
                      You are partially right WRT me, but the biggest difference is that I've been inundated with Vince Young for 3 years now. I didn't have an opinion of Vick when he came out of college. I did with Young.

So there.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• I'm still not convinced of VY's pocket skills. But he seems to have poise, leadership, and athletic ability out the wazoo. I'm frankly shocked that he has won 6 games for a pretty sad Tennessee team.

Have not seen him except for highlights (the OT TD run, Kiwanuke letting go of him, etc), so I have no opinion.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Besides strength of arm, Young has touch.
                          Something Vick has only read about briefly.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Holy crap! The Cardinals take themselves further out of the running for the #1 pick by beating Seattle, 27-21.

Detroit & Oakland lead at 2-11. Tampa Bay moves into the next slot at 3-10. Then Zona, Washington, Cleveland, & Houston at 4-9.

Young's response to a question about his 39-yd game-winning scramble: "I felt like my mom was chasing me with a belt."
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• A little more on VY:

What the quarterback rating doesn't show you is the incredible dichotomy between his stats under center, and his stats from the shotgun. He's been passing like Ryan Leaf under center, and he's been passing like Phillip Rivers or Marc Bulger from the shotgun. So far they've been using him about 50-50 from each, and his extreme suckitude on regular snaps drags his quarterback rating way down.

Although college offenses like the Young Longhorns use shotgun almost exclusively, pro teams don't, because short passes and runs up the middle are really ineffective. The quarterback has to watch the ball come into his hands on the long snap, so he can't spend the first moments of the play reading the defense. Runs up the middle are also ineffective because the halfback stands next to the quarterback, so he doesn't get to take the handoff at full speed.

The Titans are trying to teach Young to pass well from under center, too. But they generally abandon that plan when they're behind in the 4th quarter, because runs and short passes really don't do you all that much good.

Young's affinity for the shotgun is one of the reasons he gets really good in the fourth quarter.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• It seems that a lot of QBs that looked really good in college tend to look far less impressive in the pros throwing the ball because they can't make the switch from shotgun offenses to pro-style offenses. The shotgun, and other wide open offenses, are far more prevalent in college.

Vince Young seems to be going through growing pains. Interestingly enough, Vick also played a lot of his Virginia Tech years in the shotgun (and has the second greatest single season passer efficiency rating in college football history behind another shotgun QB, Shaun King of Tulane).

Comment

Working...
                                X