This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Just because you'd never say it doesn't mean it isn't true. They are two different ways of representing the same number.
    In math, they're equivalent: 0.999... = 1.

In spoken English, you can't always replace "one" with "point nine nine nine..." without people looking at you funny.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

See?

Comment

I guess I should've refreshed before posting that..
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar

In spoken English, you can't always replace "one" with "point nine nine nine..." without people looking at you funny.
          By people, you mean normal people; not math geeks, right?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I was talking about Jag

xpost

Comment

Hey, I'm an English major at a liberal arts college and I don't buy whatever PoMo crap he's spouting. I'm PoMophobic and proud of it. Don't tar me with that brush.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's a shame GePap hasn't posted in this thread

It could go on for days

Comment

I'm not to blame for the shortcomings of others.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

ah. Just seemed you were making some sort of odd claim there.

Anyhow, I don't think it's reasonable to ask that things be true regardless of how we define them....
                    My point is that the reason some people don't accept that .9 repeating is 1 is that they want to use a different definition of .9 repeating. And I find it hard to accept that there is an objectively/Platonically "right" definition of what ".9 repeating" should mean. The standard definition is far more useful than any other definition, all the more so because it is the standard definition, but there's no deep philosophical reason that we should define it that way; that would imply that ".9 repeating" exists without us creating it in our minds, which I find hard to believe.

I feel the same way about all of mathematics, though.

Comment

I'm not to blame for the shortcomings of others.
                      Yea, pretty much. Mathematics is based on rigorous proofs. Language is based on common usage. That's why in math the two are interchangeable, and in language they aren't.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

civman

That's fine. And I can conceive of a decimal system in which .9 repeating dne 1

But it's far more counterintuitive in many of its claims than is this one simple ambiguity.

Given the choice I'd say that the general public would take the one quirk of the current decimal system over the many quirks of alternative systems...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yea, pretty much. Mathematics is based on rigorous proofs. Language is based on common usage. That's why in math the two are interchangeable, and in language they aren't.
                          What?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What?
                            In mathematics, you can make a proof of something and settle the issue.

In the English language, you can't. People use two phrases differently, and that makes them different. Just like if someone coins a new phrase, and it becomes popular, it becomes part of the language.

Comment

Do you have a point? As far as I know, there is no generally accepted convention on the usage of 0.9 repeating.

In fact, the only people who are likely to use that phrase at all are those who have at least some real mathematical training, and thus they should be aware of the equality.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is from grammar school. You little wussie dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X