Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it is equal to 1. Not for all practical purpose, or close enough, it is exactly equal to one.

You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

(note: this post has been closed to comments; comments about it on other pages will be deleted!) UPDATE!!: The saga continues at this post. MORE UPDATES, WITH REFUTATIONS! THE FINAL UPDATE! Every year I get a few kids in my...
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
        This is such a silly question. It assumes that things like "1" and ".999..." actually have some independent existence from what we say they are (OK, I'll accept for the sake of argument that "1" might, but ".999..."??). The reason that .999...=1 is that that's what we define it to mean. There's no reason we couldn't define it to mean something else though.
        No, .9999... is defined to be the sum(i=1 to inf) 9*10^-i

Let an = sum(i=1 to n) 9*10^-i

1.0 - an = 10^-n

0.999.... = lim(n->inf) an

Therefore 1.0 - 0.9999... = lim(n->inf) (1.0 - an) =
        lim(n->inf) 10^-n = 0

If a - b = 0 then a = b
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          No it isn't, it's as straight as can be. Please tell me that you disagree that 1/3 is .3 repeating?
          I don't disagree. What I'm saying is that that statement needs proof just as much as the statement that 1 is .9 repeating. Why should you believe that 1/3 is .3 repeating if you don't believe 1 is .9 repeating?

Comment

No. That extra 0.0001 makes all the difference you know.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

They equal each other, mathematically. But they are different concepts. The sum of a series can be .999..., but you'd never say that there are .999... people in a room.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

No, .9999... is defined to be the sum(i=1 to inf) 9*10^-i

Let an = sum(i=1 to n) 9*10^-i

1.0 - an = 10^-n

0.999.... = lim(n->inf) an

Therefore 1.0 - 0.9999... = lim(n->inf) (1.0 - an) =
                lim(n->inf) 10^-n = 0

If a - b = 0 then a = b
                Well, yes. I didn't mean that we literally defined .999... to be 1. I meant that it followed from the way we defined it that it was 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                  They equal each other, mathematically. But they are different concepts. The sum of a series can be .999..., but you'd never say that there are .999... people in a room.
                  Just because you'd never say it doesn't mean it isn't true. They are two different ways of representing the same number.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000

Well, yes. I didn't mean that we literally defined .999... to be 1. I meant that it followed from the way we defined it that it was 1.
                    ah. Just seemed you were making some sort of odd claim there.

Anyhow, I don't think it's reasonable to ask that things be true regardless of how we define them....
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      I said Yes, but in strictest theory the answer is No.
                      Wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                        I vote no, because it's techincally not.
                        Wrong.

Comment

Look, people, the concept is simple:

If a does not equal b then there exists a number c not equal to 0 such that a - b = c

Find me the number c such that 1 - 0.9999.... = c
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I stick by what I said. It's quite close to what jaguar says.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is such a silly question. It assumes that things like "1" and ".999..." actually have some independent existence from what we say they are (OK, I'll accept for the sake of argument that "1" might, but ".999..."??). The reason that .999...=1 is that that's what we define it to mean. There's no reason we couldn't define it to mean something else though.

There are some nuances to this question that go beyond mere semantics. It's not totally trivial that this series (the infinite sum over n of 9*.1^n) should converge to 1.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

In the strictest sense the answer is yes. Only with the fuzzy I'm-a-liberal-arts-major logic is it ever false.

Comment

Working...
                                X