This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spec
    Example. Lets say a comet is 300000 light years away from the earth and almost heading right twords it. For it to hit a bullseye. you have to make it turn one degree to the left. At that distance, 0.9999 might just be enough for a miss.
    No.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Yes.

.9 infinte OTOH...

I just misunderstood KH's .9999, that is all.

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• A some what simpler explination I heard someware, you dont need to have even the fogyest idea what calculus is to get it.

.999... * 10 = 9.999... (just moved the decimal point up)

9.999... - .999... = 9.0 (infinite 9's all canceld out)

Thus 9 x .999... = 9 and 1 x .999... = 1

.999... = 1
        Last edited by Impaler[WrG]; November 6, 2006, 17:53.
        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• .9 repeating does not 1. .9 reapeating does approximately equal 1. So .9 repeating is an acceptable, but inaccurate substitute for 1.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

• Originally posted by Will9
            .9 repeating does not 1. .9 reapeating does approximately equal 1. So .9 repeating is an acceptable, but inaccurate substitute for 1.
            If 0.999... does not equal 1 then |1 - 0.999...| = x > 0

What is x?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Will9 is proof that you can never win an argument with an idiot
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Lul Thyme

The problem with dots is its not always clear what is recurring.

For example what is 0.321112111...

I know your comment was in jest, but this popped in my mind while reading it so

(we use dots for many things that could lead to confusion in math anyway)
                The dots go above the numbers that are recurring, not afterwards
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• I had a math teacher show our class this through cross multiplication. Cross multiplying with some algebra thrown in and it worked.

Of course, I don't remember exactly what he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

If 0.999... does not equal 1 then |1 - 0.999...| = x > 0

What is x?
                    A decimal point followed by an infinite number of 0's followed by a 1!
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• Next thing, you are going to try to say .0000000... is equal to 0. I know your evil sort.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        Will9 is proof that you can never win an argument with an idiot
                        It's not quite that simple. Noone at Apolyton has yet figured out if Will9 actually believes what he says, or if he's a genius of a troll, the likes of which we've never encountered before
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by loinburger

A decimal point followed by an infinite number of 0's followed by a 1!
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Being a wussy liberal arts major and having no idea about maths at all I've come to think that any maths debate on here it pays to listen to KH and ignore every other sucker.

The simplest proof:
                            =0.00000000000001
                            But 0.9999999999 carrying on for infinity
                            =0.00000000000 carrying on for infinity because there is no final 9 to turn into one.

So 0.999999 recurring has to be one.

Comment

• Very good.

But you should also listen to LulThyme or civman.

They know what they're talking about, generally.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• You forgot Ramo.

Comment

Working...
                                X