Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse 2024

I came across this:

Anyone here use telescopes and have view on this type of thing?

I have a newtonian telescope from years ago, and it was always more trouble than it's worth for someone who is not avid, and just wants plug and play and is pretty much city bound/light polluted these days. This kind of thing looks good for my kids to play around with and is not prohibitively expensive. Thinking of maybe getting something like this for Christmas to get them interested - and if not, I can get some nice amateur photography.

April 2024 Eclipse is going to be total not far from me, about an hour's drive. Hopefully the weather is clear.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

I had a telescope back in Argentina, but here in Germany it's useless. It's either overcast, or it's summer and the sun is out until 11 PM.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I'd love to get a telescope and watch the stars/planets

the light piolution in athens is very bad but the city is surrounded by very tall mountains so maybe that will be a solution

i did went to anational geographic promotion of their mars seris and did use a very powerful telesopce to look at mars. and it was red

Comment

On a previous eclispe some years back (when was it I wonder) I was just waiting for the bus and there was a full blown solar eclipse. it was mezmerizing and I couldn't stop staring even though I knew you needed special glasses to stare right at it. but it was fascinating

then I had like a hole burned in my eyesight for at least 10 minutes. I thought I had burned my retina, thankfully after half an hour or so everything was restored

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post

Anyone here use telescopes and have view on this type of thing?

I have a newtonian telescope from years ago, and it was always more trouble than it's worth for someone who is not avid, and just wants plug and play and is pretty much city bound/light polluted these days. This kind of thing looks good for my kids to play around with and is not prohibitively expensive. Thinking of maybe getting something like this for Christmas to get them interested - and if not, I can get some nice amateur photography.
          Once of my nieces has a telescope and likes watching the skies, but that's all I can say

Blah

Comment

For a city-dweller like yourself, a good quality solar filter for your existing Newtonian telescope could make things much easier for observing the eclipse without too much hassle. Alternatively, if you’re looking for something more plug-and-play, consider a good pair of solar viewing glasses or a simple solar telescope designed for easy use. They’re safe, affordable, and great for family viewing.

Speaking of the eclipse, I stumbled across a really interesting article about the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse that I found fascinating. It detailed how the path of totality will pass through several states and that many cities are hosting events for families to gather and watch together. I remember when the last solar eclipse happened; I set up a small gathering with friends, and it was such a magical experience. It’s great to see your excitement for your kids to experience something similar! If you can plan a little trip to the path of totality, you could make it a fun family day out. Plus, there are some great resources online to help with viewing tips and safety information. Here’s this link for more details on the eclipse and how to prepare!​
            Last edited by Trudem; August 8, 2024, 07:18.

Comment

Working...
            X