New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York, New York

My next excursion. Finally going to New York. I have to say this is the least enthused I have ever been for a vacation. I originally wasn't even going to go with the rest of my family (wife and two teenaged daughters) but decided the destination didn't matter, it was who I was going with; and since my oldest just graduated from HS and will be leaving for college in September and who knows what her life will be like... this might be the last time we have a family trip.

We're doing the 9/11 museum, Empire State Building, Central Park, a boat tour on the Hudson (skyline, Statue of Liberty and not really sure what else), two or three Broadway shows, maybe Grande Central Station, and probably a bunch of other stuff I just don't remember planning. Can my Polytubby friends suggest other things (not that we're going to be able to do them, but my wife did schedule in more downtime than she normally does)?
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

(also interested in this)

Comment

Haunt Chris62.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

have a good time

Comment

Haven't been to NYC with free time since it opened, but my friends all tell me to check out the High Line. It's an old abandoned railroad path (the New York Central freight spur), now totally redesigned as an elevated pedestrian walkway. It's about 1.45 miles long, lots of unique plantings earning high praise as landscape architecture.

It starts in the Meatpacking District, running from Gansevoort Street through Chelsea and up to the northern edge of the West Side Yard on 34th Street near the Javits Convention Center. That's the southwest section of Manhattan. And it's free - people use it to walk to work - although doubtless there are plenty of ways to spend money as you walk.

Check out Wikipedia or https://www.thehighline.org/ for details.

Normally, I would suggest planning ahead to watch a chat show being taped at 30 Rock or Comedy Central, but with the writers' strike and all, nothing is currently in production.

But hey, it's New York, so there are plenty of other options.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm not far from NYC and have many friends who live there. If you're interested in getting dinner, I'd love to make the trip. It's been a few years since I've been there for anything other than a day trip to see my tattoo artist.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Donegeal
              Donegeal commented
              Editing a comment
              It seems the family does not have much interest in meeting a twenty year internet friend during what could be our last family vacation, but should I make this trip again, perhaps if it's just me and the wife, ill keep this in mind.

The MET was really good.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• PLATO
              PLATO commented
              Editing a comment
              Highly recommend as well, but it is not a quick activity. It would be almost impossible to do it justice in a day.

Perhaps this one is better for younger visitors.
            Start here: find out how to get to the Museum, reserve timed-entry tickets, and map out your must-see exhibits.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• PLATO
              PLATO commented
              Editing a comment
              I like that I may qualify as "younger"! I really enjoyed this and my teen years are but a fading memory...

Main branch of the New York Public Library
            The Stephen A. Schwarzman Building is part of The New York Public Library, which consists of four major research libraries and 88 branch libraries located in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island. Often referred to as the "main branch," the Beaux-Arts landmark building on Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street houses outstanding research collections in the humanities and social sciences. The Stephen A. Schwarzman Building is currently undergoing a renovation. Learn more.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

New York City also has some of the best restaurants in the world. I typically plan at least 1 or 2 restaurant visits whenever I go. Choices should be geared towards your personal tastes.

Comment

• PLATO
                PLATO commented
                Editing a comment
                I so agree! While it may not be a top flight New York experience, Del Frisco's on 6th has the best lobster mac and cheese I have ever had.

Originally posted by pchang View Post
              Perhaps this one is better for younger visitors.
              We also enjoyed that, I was thinking of mentioning it too.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                Main branch of the New York Public Library
                The Library was also a fabulous visit. Note that the normal library is across the street.

We went last year. My wife and I really enjoyed it, the girls wanted to go back to Fremont.

We didn't see a show on broadway, but we should have. We all enjoyed the show we saw in Chicago and I and the older girl really enjoyed Hamilton (we saw in San Jose).

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

No offense to San Francisco, but New York City is really on another level. Chicago is closer to New York City than San Francisco is.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• PLATO
                    PLATO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    New York > Chicago simply because the subway can put you within a block or two of literally everything.

Macy's was an interesting visit for me. I am used to large department stores, but eight stories of an entire city block was unique.

China town was also an interesting visit. Nothing really noteworthy other than a vast cultural change right in the middle of Manhattan. Food is generally good and also cheap by Manhattan standards.

Little Italy has almost disappeared and really nothing to see there.

American Express building is noteworthy for the palm trees in the lobby but only if you happen to be walking by.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

We're staying in Times Square. We've done Bryant Park, The public library, Rockefeller plaza, grand Central station and a couple of book stores (my wife, I, and both teenage girls love books). Taking a break before going to see Wicked tonight.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                    X