• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you tip?

I hear in the US you tip.
    how do you tip?
    by cash I guess?

how can i calculate the percentage? what is the percentage for cities like new york for example?
    10%? 15%?

is there an app to calcuate the prices of goods seeing as what I will see in the labels will not be what I pay because they don't add the tax?

where is the best place to change euros to dollars in new york?

is there anything to see in philadelphia or baltimore that will offset an upset on the travelling plans from new york to washington?

what is more posh? trains or buses to move between cities?

are public wifis safe?

is a 1 dollar pizza worthwile or safe?

outside of manhattan are there any other new york neighborhoods worth visiting?

if I change flights in chicago can I easily go round and see the city in 10 hours from the airport?

do they make you wait in line for checks even within US flights?

thank you very much

oh
    what are some major US banks that I can use their ATMs to withdraw cash safely?

I hope I can pay with cash everywhere because they get at least one euro commission whenever I use the cards outside of the eurozone

Say I get a 1 dollar pizza with card, I will be paying 1 dollar fot the pizza and like 1,30 for the transaction,

I could be having TWO pizza slices if I payed in cash

Seriously I do hope I can get around new york with cash. cards aren't worth it.

Comment

• pchang
      pchang commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost all banks ATMs will be fine. Underneath the covers, there are competing ATM networks, most banks have agreements with all the major networks. Typical tipping percentage is 18% in the US (this is pretty much the case for the entire country).

and seriously how hot can new york be in summer for someone from south europe

Comment

• pchang
      pchang commented
      Editing a comment
      While temperatures will be similar, the humidity will be a bit higher. That makes it feel warmer. You will sweat more so drink more water.

1 dollar pizza sounds supicious
    Blah

Comment

sorry i meant one pizza slice

it is suppsoed to be iconic in NYC

also I think the wait in lines will be aweful in airports

I would want a transit somewher in eruope (i feel safer like close to home) but if I could squeeze in another big city like chcago I'd go for that,

but I fear the waiting will be long.

I read pleny of stories from people that went to ny then all the way to new orleans and had nothing but great things to say about the overall experience except for the waitning in airports

Comment

myu to do list

empire state building
        top of the rock
        tram for roosevelt island from manhattan
        time square also at night at 12 o clock midnight for some ad show that is happening
        statue of liberty ellis island/museum
        moma
        madison square garden NBA game (IF i find a good price)
        broadway, just walking not for a show
        central park
        walk on brooklun bridge also on another bridge (manhattan bridge? from which I can see brooklyn bridge)
        walk on wall street
        swim at rock away beach
        visit socrates scultpure park
        eat one dolar pizza slice
        go to a jazz bar
        walk on the highlane garden

Comment

• pchang
          pchang commented
          Editing a comment
          NBA season runs from about October to April (playoffs from May - June) more or less.

my basic plan is just to walk and eat street food and I'll try to squeeze in all other activities

Comment

also 9/11 memorial
          and take a train (or bus?) to go to wahsington and maybe stop at philadelphia

the thing is i want to do so many things, but I have to fit them in time wise because it will not be many days. like 7 or 8

Comment

As for the OP --- no idea about tip habits in the US, but when using cash I usually tip so that I arrive at a round sum, like 10,15, 20 etc bucks, to avoid getting small coins in return.

Small coins
            Blah

Comment

No app for final price because the tax amount changes from area to area (technically by county).
              There is no best place to change euros to dollars - they are all a rip off. Just avoid the airport because that is the worst.
              Philadelphia or Baltimore - nothing unless you are a big fan of US history (Philadelphia was once the capital of the US)
              Trains are more posh than taking a bus.
              With 10 hours in Chicago - you might have time to see 1 or 2 places. The main airport is a bit far outside the city.
              Yes - even internal travel requires going through the security checks and this can take up to an hour depending upon the airport, the day of the week, and the time of day.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

For tip, consider 10% (divide the price by 10) and then multiply by 2 and round down.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Fun post, BE. When might you be visiting the USA? Any definite plans yet? Time of year will influence potential activities. Here some notes & reactions:

Ah, tipping. Technically, from the wait staff's POV, 15% is the standard tip, while 20% shows the customer's appreciation for a job well done.
                  A lot of point-of-sale devices "helpfully" do the math to suggest 15%, 18%, and 20% tips. JM's technique is also an easy hack.
                  If possible, tip in cash, even if you're paying the rest of the bill with a credit or debit card. Your server will appreciate it.

Funniest part of the OP: the idea that Manhattan is a "neighborhood" made me LOL.
                  Weirdest thing on the list: the $1 slice. Really, it's not a thing outside NYC and the pizza is nothing special.
                  Best thing on your list: walking the High Line. Definitely on my personal 2do list. They are constantly updating the spectacular plantings with sculpture and such.

Btw, Broadway (the street) runs right through Times Square. Most of the (Broadway) theaters are all within a couple blocks of Times Square, but they're pretty unremarkable if you're not seeing a show. Rockefeller Center is right there as well. And the south end of Central Park is just a few blocks north of there. So you can combine some of your activities in a day of walking.

Also, be aware that Central Park is freaking huge. Not at all like a typical urban park.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

thank you very much for your tips... (haha!)
                    really your advice is appriacated and very helpful.

I will try and combine the attractions

for example broadway and time square. now that I knlow there won't be an NBA game maybe I'll buy a ticket for a show on broadway.

I know that central park is not small and that manhattan is not a neighborhood, obviously the scales are different I will take that under consideration. One of the things people say when the visit NYC is that they are taken aback by the sheer scale of things, buildings etc
                    and they are all enthralled, I don't know one person that went there and didn't love it

obviously I will have to take into account the large scale but with the metro I thinlk I will be fine. I'll have to preplan and combine attractions for sure.

as for time of visit, no time like now. It will be as immidiate as I can draw a deep breath and just do it, because it is a different beast to travel half the world, than in your whereabaouts.
                    I know when I'll eventually book the tickets though all that will stay with me will be a feeling of readiness excitement and anticipation. That happens every time

Comment

Working...
                    X