Article on Civ 7.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Civ 7.

I disagree with the primary thrust of the article that Civ 7 needs to be radically different from the rest of the series. If it is not broken then don't fix it.

It's said that history repeats itself, but it seems Sid Meier's Civilization has taken that to heart, so Civilization 7 needs to change the game.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Call to Power took civilisation in a new direction, an unwanted direction, and that was the end of Call to Power.

Comment

No, the lawsuit was the end of call to power. They could make 2 and no more.
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Egbert View Post
        Call to Power took civilisation in a new direction, an unwanted direction, and that was the end of Call to Power.
        I liked the direction that CtP went ... would have liked a CtP 3 and/or 4 etc.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Call to Power went to space (and science fiction). I liked the concept, but the execution was poor.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Somehow all the new civ games still use the "worker" unit. It's embarrassing at this point.
            "

Comment

I really did not like the game play in Call to Power. I found the game unplayable and yet it could have been a very good game with some changes. (I forget why as it was so long ago).

Galactic Civilisations has quite some conceptual and game play similarities to Civilization, and it does not have a worker unit.

Comment

Loved Call to Power 2 but it had a lot of bugs and the AI was a mess. At least it had good multiplayer functionality.

Comment

Civ4 perfected the original civilization formula. Civ5 took the franchise in a new and unwanted direction, but they overwhelmed the player with so much "content" they forgot about the game's shortcomings. Civ6 improved the mechanics in Civ5 while keeping and improving the superfluous content added in the Civ5 expansions while continuing to add on brand new mechanics and its own superficial nonsense. This strategy creates endless new gameplay but at the cost balance. The series is no longer a strategy game and serious competitive gameplay is dead. Now we are left with a mildly entertaining sandbox.
                  "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post
                    Somehow all the new civ games still use the "worker" unit. It's embarrassing at this point.
                    What would your solution be?
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by ZEE View Post

What would your solution be?
                      A terrain improvement menu where you select the improvement you want to build and place it on the map for a cost (gold/hammers/whatever). Like first done in Call to Power and now featured in most other 4x games
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post

A terrain improvement menu where you select the improvement you want to build and place it on the map for a cost (gold/hammers/whatever). Like first done in Call to Power and now featured in most other 4x games
                        One of the good new concepts thatz CtP introduced.

The second good concept that CtP IMHO brought was the addition of army combat (consisting of multiple units).
                        You finally had the feeling in a Civ-type game that you had actually armies fighting against each others (with different unit types having different roles).
                        Something that in all the Civs by Sid Meier you never had
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Sid Meier should have run for president long ago.
                          Blah

Comment

Firaxis has announced that Civilization 7 is now officially in the works, but its release could break a long-time Civilization series tradition.

Not looking good. The developer is openly saying they will be breaking with Civ tradition and trying to make the game very different from all previous cov games. Why screw up a winning formula?

Comment

• N35t0r
                              N35t0r commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Because making it more mainstream means more sales. Want it or not, us old-timers are a small minority of potential clients.
                          Working...
                          X