Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US government testing space alien technology again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pchang View Post
    Aliens capable of traveling hundreds of light years would easily be capable of moving around undetected by us.
    Possibly - but not certainly. With interstellar travel energies involved -bogglingly enormous, I hear- we really ought to see them coming.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• pchang
      pchang commented
      Editing a comment
      If advanced thrust looks more like a laser than a blow torch…..

• Buster Crabbe's Uncle
      Buster Crabbe's Uncle commented
      Editing a comment
      It might, it might not - show me a real starship.

Biden's Crusade against Space Aliens continues with the downing of another UF over Alaska

Blah

Comment

3rd one over Canada. Looks like an invasion of some sorts
      Blah

Comment

And the next one. There must be a nest somewhere....

This one's an interesting shape:

US shoots down ‘octagonal’ flying object near military sites in Michigan

Blah

Comment

China has joined the crusade against unidentified flying objects.

Comment

I saw a news report that the Chinese spy balloons cost between $50,000 and $100,000 each where as when you count up all the detection equipment, the military kill chain decision making, the cost of flying an F-22 to the balloons, and then firing a very expensive missile at it... It costs the U.S. $2-$3 million to shoot down a balloon that might only have a median cost of $75,000.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              I saw a news report that the Chinese spy balloons cost between $50,000 and $100,000 each where as when you count up all the detection equipment, the military kill chain decision making, the cost of flying an F-22 to the balloons, and then firing a very expensive missile at it... It costs the U.S. $2-$3 million to shoot down a balloon that might only have a median cost of $75,000.
              The US and other wealthy countries definitely should pursue developing cost effective weapon systems in parallel to the usual money-is-no-object bleeding edge of engineering stuff. Maybe something that took advantage of balloons inherently slow maneuverability would be effective.

Comment

The new Boeing-Saab booster and glide pack for 50 year old dumb bombs which NATO has millions of is a definite step in the right direction. Sure, they wouldn't work on a high altitude balloon but they can be fired out of HIMARs and you can buy 25 of those medium range missiles for the cost of one ATCOM. So that is a step in the right direction.

Next up we need a cheap way to deal with drones because it is stupid to use a million dollar plus Patriot missiles to hot a $40,000 suicide drone.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  The new Boeing-Saab booster and glide pack for 50 year old dumb bombs which NATO has millions of is a definite step in the right direction. Sure, they wouldn't work on a high altitude balloon but they can be fired out of HIMARs and you can buy 25 of those medium range missiles for the cost of one ATCOM. So that is a step in the right direction.

Next up we need a cheap way to deal with drones because it is stupid to use a million dollar plus Patriot missiles to hot a $40,000 suicide drone.
                  I really hope the patriots are being held in reserve for high value enemy assets.

Comment

Ukraine is parsimonious because they know it is hard to get replacements. Our own department of defense is not nearly so conservative.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Not much in balloon news recently. I feel ignored by them space aliens
                      Blah

Comment

A hobby club in Illinois is missing a balloon. Was it shot down over Yukon?

The Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade isn't pointing fingers yet

Last Saturday, the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) shot down an object over Yukon — one of four mysterious objects that were downed over the U.S. and Canada this month.

That same day, Feb. 11, a small hobby club — the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade (NIBBB) — received its last transmission from one of its pico balloons on its seventh circumnavigation around the world. The balloon was near Hagemeister Island, off the southwest corner of Alaska.

"At that time and as we often do, we used NOAA's HYSPLIT model to predict where the balloon may go from there," the club said in a blog post on its website Friday. The prediction? That it would be floating over Yukon.

Now, NIBBB has declared the balloon "missing in action," drawing speculation it could be the same balloon the RCMP had been hunting for on the ground in Yukon with the assistance of the Canadian Armed Forces.

The RCMP announced late Friday that they are suspending search efforts, given "the snowfall that has occurred, the decreasing probability the object will be found and the current belief the object is not tied to a scenario that justifies extraordinary search efforts."

The NIBBB's statement is also raising questions whether the mysterious objects in the skies are weather balloons launched by hobbyists."There's talk within the amateur community that one of them that got shot down was one of these balloons," said Phil McBride, the president of Radio Amateurs of Canada.

"I can't say whether or not that's the case, but rumours abound."

NIBBB isn't pointing fingers yet.

"As has been widely reported, no part of the object shot down by the U.S. Air Force jet over Yukon territory has been recovered. Until that happens and that object is confirmed to be an identifiable pico balloon, any assertions or claims that our balloon was involved in that incident are not supported by facts," the club said in its blog post.

CBC News has reached out to NIBBB for an interview.

Most recovery missions ended

Of the four objects shot down over North American skies in the last month, only one has been identified. China says the 60-metre balloon downed off the coast of South Carolina was for monitoring weather conditions, but Washington says it was a surveillance balloon with a massive undercarriage containing electronics.

The U.S. said Friday it had concluded recovery efforts to collect sensors and other debris from the balloon, and the last of the debris is heading to an FBI laboratory in Virginia for analysis.

On Thursday, U.S. President Joe Biden said the U.S. intelligence community was still trying to learn more about the three unidentified objects: one that was shot down over Alaska, one over Canada and a third that plunged into Lake Huron. The administration has said they were downed because they posed a threat to civil aviation.

"We don't yet know exactly what these three objects were, but nothing right now suggests they were related to the Chinese spy balloon program or they were surveillance vehicles from any other country," Biden said.

Also on Thursday, RCMP said in a release that they're suspending the search for debris in Lake Huron due to several factors, "including deteriorating weather and the low probability of recovery."Late Friday, the U.S. military's Northern Command said it had also ended search operations on Lake Huron and in Alaska, having "discovered no debris."
                        A matter of 'can I do this?'

In Canada, there are a large number of people putting high-altitude balloons with radio equipment in the air, whether it's individuals, private companies, or STEM programs at schools, said McBride, of Radio Amateurs of Canada.

"Sometimes it's just a matter of 'can I do this?'" McBride said. As an example, he notes some schools will send up balloons to take photos from high altitudes.

"A big part of it is experimentation and research," he said.

He also notes ballooning is becoming more popular as the the technology becomes more accessible to the average person.

"Anyone can do it."
                        Last Saturday, the North American Aerospace Defence Command shot down an object over Yukon — one of four mysterious objects that were downed over the U.S. and Canada this month.
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Working...
                        X