No announcement yet.

How often do you buy a new smartphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you buy a new smartphone?

Mine is getting 5 yrs old next year. Still works fine tho, so I don't need to buy another in a hurry...

Mostly use it for communications like skype other messaging, a bit surfing, but not much with high load like video or gaming.

Public single vote.

Once in a lifetime!
    0%
    Nevah!
    0%
    Yearly!
    0%
    Every 3-5 yrs!
    77.78%
    What is a smartphone???
    0%
    Only when they bundle it with a free banana
    22.22%
    Blah

closer to 5 than to 3
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Hm .. lets see ... my first Smartphone was a HTC Touch Diamond ... that is from 2009.
      My 2nd one was a Samsung Galaxy A10 ... in 2019 ...
      and my currrent one ist a Samsung Galaxy A53 5G ... from this year, 2022.

So, it seems on average I buy a new smartphone every 6.5 years
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Until my kids or my wife ruins it.

So every 3-5 years?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

When the old one becomes unusable. On average, I'd say about once every 5+ years
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Same as TMM.

My current phone will be 5 in January, I'll probably replace it sometime next year as it's strating to act up.

The previous phone lasted for ~5 months before it stopped working. The one before that I had for 4½ years.

Before that I had a used blackberry that had been my father's. That was my first "smart" phone. I only had it for two years or so, but it was already pretty busted when I got it. Battery hardly lasted if I used it more than the bare minimum, even with a 'new' battery.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

For me it’s been about every two years. I try to buy unlocked midrange phones when I can. I use prepaid plans since they are normally cheaper, and look for deals. Like currently I have an iPhone 11 I bought this year. Maybe if I bought a top of the line flagship I might keep it longer.

Comment

Two years ago I upgraded from an iphone 7 to an iphone 12. Some nice new features but not a drastically different phone from what I was used to, My iphone 12 was stolen a couple of weeks ago and I am back to the iphone 7. It seems that those new features in the 12 were worth more than I thought. The 7 is functional and does what I need it to but I am missing the new whistles and bells. So...it looks like a 14 is in my near future. So, in general...about every 4 years. This time, it looks like it will be just 2 years.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

It took me three years before I bought my most recent one a week ago. I bought a Google Pixel 7 Pro because it seemed to have the right mix of value, features, plus the promise of years of free updates without all the bloat ware. The charging port went out on my previous two Samsung phones after about 2-3 years so I am hoping Google's hardware is at least as good if not slightly better.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Whenever my employer says I'm scheduled for a new one.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• dannubis
                      dannubis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This. Never bought one for myself...

• Proteus_MST
                      Proteus_MST commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have one from my employer as well ... but it is less sophisticated than my private one
                      (we only are allowed to select smartphones which come bundled together with the employers mobile phone contract and cost less than 30 € additional payment ... so the assortment from which we can select is rather limited ... we aren't even allowed to pay some additional money on our own, to get a better one ... therefore I prefer to have a 2nd, private (and better), smartphone in addition to the one from work)
                  Working...
                  X