How I was wrong about Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I was wrong about Trump

On Jan. 6, Hutchinson said Trump wanted his staff to get rid of the “mags” so supporters who were carrying metal weapons, including firearms and knives, could enter the rally.
    True story, when I first heard about it, I thought his intention was to take away their magazines/ammo, so them firerarms would threaten noone, because - so my reading - even he thought this would be too much. That's the only meaning of "mag" that popped up in my mind at his pt.

However to my surprise some native-language-english-folks argue that "mag" here actually refers to:

“Mag” is short for magnetometer. Magnetometers are devices used to detect the presence of metal objects, according to Merriam-Webster dictionary's definition, also known as metal detectors.
    ... which gives the whole things a completely different turn.

Of course:

“They’re not here to hurt me,” the former president said.

All quotes from USA Today
    Blah

Originally posted by BeBro View Post

True story, when I first heard about it, I thought his intention was to take away their magazines/ammo, so them firerarms would threaten noone, because - so my reading - even he thought this would be too much. That's the only meaning of "mag" that popped up in my mind at his pt.

However to my surprise some native-language-english-folks argue that "mag" here actually refers to:

... which gives the whole things a completely different turn.

Of course:

All quotes from USA Today
    Hearsay is not admissible evidence in a court for a reason. Congress obviously doesn't have to follow this. There is no telling if this is accurate or not. Could be...could not be. Lots of folks jumping on the Jan 6 train for their own reasons and not to get the truth out. Still...probably a lot of truth in a lot of statements. Hard to single one out and say it is true though. In the aggregate, it should be obvious that we had a megalomanic President desperately trying to hold on to power. An actual coup attempt is harder for me...I can't imagine a sitting President that would rely only on the Lost Boys types to run a coup for him.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

But you have a limited imagination, as you've shown over and over in your recent posts. We have decades of evidence about Trump's behavior and it all points to a coup attempt.
      "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post
        But you have a limited imagination, as you've shown over and over in your recent posts. We have decades of evidence about Trump's behavior and it all points to a coup attempt.
        hmmm...maybe. Still, what a moron if that is the best he could do with all the resources the President can call on. If he thought the thugs in right wing gangs were the best he could do, then he had no business being President in the first place.

Still, I must admit you may be right about a limited imagination...I just can't imagine that nearly anyone would rely on that strategy if it were a serious coup attempt.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

That's the thing, Plato. It was a whole series of attempts, a scattershot approach based on the thinking that "only one of them needs to work."

Outside of the election itself, everything else is pretty clearly extralegal attempts to avoid leaving office. Ever.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post

hmmm...maybe. Still, what a moron if that is the best he could do with all the resources the President can call on. If he thought the thugs in right wing gangs were the best he could do, then he had no business being President in the first place.

Still, I must admit you may be right about a limited imagination...I just can't imagine that nearly anyone would rely on that strategy if it were a serious coup attempt.
            Yes
            "

Comment

He's a spoiled baby who's used to getting his way if he throws a fit.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                That's the thing, Plato. It was a whole series of attempts, a scattershot approach based on the thinking that "only one of them needs to work."

Outside of the election itself, everything else is pretty clearly extralegal attempts to avoid leaving office. Ever.
                Do you think there is a possibility, given his ego, that he actually believed that the election had fraud and had been stolen? Is it possible that his megalomania went that far?

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                  -Jrabbit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's certainly possible, perhaps likely, that he would claim that, but I'm of the opinion that conscious self-deception does not exist.

Originally posted by PLATO View Post

I think both of your sentences point to an underlying truth regarding Trump
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I'm looking this from other side of an ocean, and it looks like that Trump did truly believe, that the election was stolen from him.
                  My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                    -Jrabbit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dude, don't be fooled. He was role-playing. And he knew damned well that he could not falter in that opinion or his loyal droogs would stop their unquestioning obedience.

Also, please note that a "deeply held belief" is not an excuse for breaking the law.

• PLATO
                    PLATO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The fact that a "deeply held belief" does not exonerate someone is really the crux of the matter here. So now we have to parse everything to determine which actual laws were broken. We cannot rely on a general "Conspiracy to overthrow the government" charge as a conspiracy is defined as "a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful". If Trump truly believed that the election was stolen, then he could claim his actions were to protect against a conspiracy to overthrow the government. So...once we move past conspiracy, then we need to look at other laws that may have been broken. Where there is sufficient evidence (and not just conjecture or appearance of guilt) then we should move on to charges being placed. So far I am not aware, other than the potential attempt to contact a witness, that anything has been referred to the justice department for action. We should ask ourselves why this is (for more than one reason!)

Originally posted by Andemagne View Post
                  I'm looking this from other side of an ocean, and it looks like that Trump did truly believe, that the election was stolen from him.
                  So you were wrong about him too
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                    That's the only meaning of "mag" that popped up in my mind at his pt.
                    When I read your poast the meaning that popped into my mind was metal detectors and English is my only language. This is also the first I have heard of "mags" at Trump rallies.

Comment

Working...
                    X