Steinway Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steinway Tower

Would you live here? Could you live here? not the cost... but the wind! “wind sway”. A 1,000ft building may sway several inches on a day with normal winds. On days with 50mph wind, such a tower may move approximately six inches. In the rare event of 100mph gusts, this height structure could move up to two feet, the New York Times reported. yes, there are tuned mass dampers but you still feel them move. dinner at the signature lounge on a windy day you can feel it - and see your drink sloshing around. the more skinny the building the worse it is. it would freak me out living in such a building. it just seems like a good wind should snap something like that in two. i dont think i could do it.

NY regularly has hurricanes with winds ~100Mph so I don't think I would call that a rare event. Hurricane Ida (2021) had a top wind speed of 149Mph.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
    X