The parthenon in nashville.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The parthenon in nashville.

I was bored so I took a stroll in the city center.

came across a kiosk and saw a magazine I used to buy wtih the cover of a person i used to listen to plus cd. so i bought it

In the latest MOJO magazine: Jack White Exclusive, The Songs Jack Taught Us CD, T. Rex, Stones, Mark Lanegan and more.

I sit down on a nice bar and start sipping beer and devouring the main article (sometimes british english is more straneous to udnerstand)

I read with amazement that jack white starved himself for 3 days in order to play for on the SNL

so i search for that performance
    I found it (the must have taken it down since)

and he's amazing

well, that's a long time I got so excited about something, what else has jack white been doing apart dying his hair blue and making amazing music again?

he gort married? he had two kids. moved to nashville?

where on earth is nashville.

open maps, it is in tenese?

wait, there's something that says "parthenon" on the map.

holy f there's a replica of the actual parthenon there

plus jack white will put out two brand new records soon (and he's somehow managed to remaster a very old 1907 old mountnaous greek folk music album by his comparny)

so just a stroll and I'm happier and wiser and I want to play the guitar again

​​​​​​The replica is fun. I think perhaps the Brits should consider making some fine replicas to display so that they could return the stolen marbles.

Comment

Why do the settings force the mods to manually approve so much? Is it really worth all of the hassle?

Comment

I didn't know earlier, but it even has a replica of a large Athena statue inside:

Blah

Comment

It's hard to tell from that picture but I'm pretty sure she's wearing cowboy boots.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Scary face

Comment

But they tried to put a human face on the godess
              Blah

Comment

I grew up in Nashville and have been to the replica Parthenon many times. It is a beautiful place and mirrors the original pretty darn close. It was originally constructed for Nashville's centennial celebration in 1896. Nashville is known as "The Athens of the South" but I cannot remember how that came about. In any event, the Parthenon was so popular for the centennial celebration that the city decided to make it a more permanent construction. It was one of many replica Greek structures built for the celebration out of wood. The permanent construction is mainly concrete. The statue of Athena inside is enormous and amazing. Nashville kept the park ("Centennial Park") and it is a great place to visit. I spent many hours playing these as a child and have enjoyed revisiting as an adult as well. If you ever get to Nashville, you should definitely go and see it!

Oh...and NO...she is NOT wearing cowboy boots! LOL!
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I haven't been to Nashville, but in the mid-80s I visited Memphis and saw Graceland and the King Tut tour (sans Steve Martin)... seemed apropos.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

When I was in Egypt once they claimed they had a King Tut too there, with tomb and riches from his grave in a museum in Cairo. All replicas of the Memphis Tut of course
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                      Nashville is known as "The Athens of the South" but I cannot remember how that came about.
                      It came about because at that time tennessee placed a lot of importance on university level education and on education in general (I did my research )

I'd definitely visit if I ever go there

reminds me of a vast temple named parthenon I saw completely by chance in paris actually while just walking

Comment

ehm,

where is athens of the north?

in atlanta?

Comment

oh or rather, there is US and then south US so athens of the south means athens of the south US. there is no north US athens

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                            ehm,

where is athens of the north?

in atlanta?

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X