Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you approve of Biden and/or Harris's job performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you approve of Biden and/or Harris's job performance?

Started a new thread just to have a poll, though there are plenty of politics threads already.

I'm a bit perplexed by how this administration is shaking out so far, and how we're reacting. The president is the single most powerful person on earth, and you'd expect him (theoretically her) to be a dynamic figure. But it seems to me that Biden was selected specifically because he's the boring option; after four years of Trump, we wanted a non-controversial known quantity to get him out for sure. And that seems to have won voters over; while I wanted Amash to win, and I voted for Jorgensen even though she's ridiculous, "not Donald Trump" is acceptable in the same way I walked out of theaters sorta-satisfied with Episode 7. Sure, it was uninspired recycled crap, but it wasn't aggressively bad like the prequels, which made it a relief. I wanted Biden to be an Episode 7 presidency. Show up, make some speeches nobody will remember, make some minor gaffes that only Fox News will give a damn about, blather about problems nobody ever solved like healthcare, and don't solve them while giving a credible impression that you sort of tried. Most of all, no more culture war crap, I'm tired. I'm biased, but I think that's why he won. He couldn't act like Trump with a gun to his head, and the nation was ready for a boring-ass president.

But he didn't do that. He's trying to be transformative and enact a big sweeping agenda ... with half the senate on his side on a good day. He wants pretty much the whole democratic wishlist, including stuff that no Republican would ever get behind and which he knows full well will give Joe Manchin the heebie-jeebies. Afghanistan was never going to look good, and it's to his credit that he pulled out even if one feels he could have executed it more smoothly. COVID isn't really soluble, politically, and he was always going to be the whipping boy for that. And inflation is only partly his fault (on a related note, I am totally cured of my interest in UBI). The part where he thinks he has a mandate to actually govern as a strong progressive? That's baffling, and it's all on him. It doesn't seem like he needs to please the left wing, now that Trump is suggesting he'll try to come back; ain't nobody gonna primary Joe while the Donald is rattling the White House doorknobs. My best guess is that he really wants this stuff?

Kamala, paradoxically, seems to be getting a lot of criticism for doing her job poorly, which is even more weird since she barely has a job even with a deadlocked senate to break ties in. Only one veep in my lifetime really played a prominent role in his administration, and it was terrible. Kamala, AFAICT, is being addled and uninspiring, which is what we backed her boss for, and is pretty close to her current job's description. Is it because Biden is more likely than previous presidents to die, because Kamala was never a popular candidate, or because she's a black woman? Beats me.
    Biden yes, Harris yes
    9.09%
    Biden yes, Harris no
    0%
    Biden no, Harris yes
    9.09%
    Biden no, Harris no
    54.55%
    (are banana options even a thing anymore?)
    27.27%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I voted for Biden, but I didn't expect much because of where our country was. For some reason about a year ago, the mainstream media and many on the left (even progressives) started saying Biden was going to be the return of FDR. I didn't see how that was going to work, and it hasn't worked. I guess with the push from the left and the center Biden felt he had to try?

I agree with your views on Afghanistan.

I think that due to various factors (inflation? continued covid? somehow CRT?) that the center did move a bit right over the last year, which may have caught Biden and his administration (and the left and the progressives) off guard.

I made the only vote so far for Yes and Yes, although as you note you can't really expect much from a VP and Harris has so far not convinced me to support her the next time she runs in a presidential primary.

JM
    (I didn't vote Gore in 2000, if Biden had run in the 2016 primary I still would have backed Sanders (Which would have been a mistake), I don't generally support VPs even of presidents I like (Obama).)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Biden is woke and Harris is a useless token.
      I hate both of them and god help America if Biden dies and Harris gets to be president.
      I hate Trump more than I hate Biden though,

Comment

Biden is facing surprising (to me, although not to one of my friends who takes a both sides perspective ) pressure to be a left version of Trump, at least as far as ruling as a dictator instead of serving as a president. I feel like he has taken a moderate line on this, although of course, we might feel like he needed to take a harder line against anti-democratic pushes from the left.

However, that would probably also disrupt his governing coalition. Remember, he can't just govern by himself, he has to hire and put together a team... so it is really the Biden Administration just like it was the Trump Administration, the Obama Administration and the Bush Administration.

I note that he hasn't done a lot of the stuff that has been called for, including cancelling student loan debt (which is one of the things that I think might be appropriate, depending on how it is done), on immigration, on expanding the Supreme Court and all the other places that people on the Left and Progressives have asked him to act using Executive Degrees instead of putting together the votes (which is 50 senators for certain budgets and is 60 for other changes).

JM
        (If he starts doing all sorts of Executive Actions, I reserve the right to Disapprove.)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Egbert View Post
          Biden is woke and Harris is a useless token.
          I hate both of them and god help America if Biden dies and Harris gets to be president.
          I hate Trump more than I hate Biden though,
          I agree that Harris hasn't stood out as someone who has vision or backbone.

With populists and authoritarian inclinations everywhere, I want to support people who have vision and backbone that doesn't include surrendering to the them.

JM
          (BTW, I am still interested in UBI, I but I am much more suspicious of left wing populists than I had been, if Sanders was younger and running in an open primary in 2024 I would not vote for him unless the other leading candidates were even more aligned with the left wing populists. This is despite the fact that I think he personally has backbone. I don't trust who he aligns with.)
          Last edited by Jon Miller; February 1, 2022, 13:46.
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

A lot of the problem of the Trump Administration was Trump, but also a lot of it was that he included white nationalists, nativists and right wing populists in his administration which Bush for the most part did not do.

The Bush Administrations main problem was his neoconservatives.

JM
            (I am too young to comment that much about the Sr. Bush and Reagan.)
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Elok - That is a fair analysis. I'm not sure Biden wants these policies from the left of his party but he can't afford to have Dems stay home on election day.

I would say "Biden no and Harris no" on your poll but I'd take either over a return to Trump or some other leader of the anti-democratic party. Bad is better than awful.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

i voted no for both, biden did one good thing - left Afghanistan

sadly he butchered that

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    Elok - That is a fair analysis. I'm not sure Biden wants these policies from the left of his party but he can't afford to have Dems stay home on election day.
                    It's pretty well no-win, if that's how we're going to read it. Appeasing the base scares the hell out of the middle and keeping the middle calm offends the base. I think that's always been the case but as the parties have become more homogeneous "the base" represents a larger and larger share of the actual party while "the middle" is the chunk of more or less independent swing voters who actually win the elections.
                    1011 1100

Comment

I'd be an independent in the US context and the current state of the Republican party would keep from voting for them. Any R- that I could vote for would never win the nomination.

The far left ultra "woke" crowd disturbs me but not as much as the anti-democratic crowd. As you say, no win.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Berzerker
                        Berzerker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        what is democratic about cancel culture?

I don't mean that moderates will be scared into voting for Trump; I mean that they'll be discouraged into staying home. We voted for boring but basically functional government; Biden's still pretty boring, but basically nobody wanted him to spend months failing to persuade one or two moderate senators to back a fifty bajillion dollar spending bill fighting entrenched white supremacy and climate change by recruiting transgendered endangered sea otter sex workers to distribute free dildos with Greta Thunberg's face printed on the knob end. Progressives won't turn out without their Thunberg dildos. Moderates look at them and say why bother to vote. What's a Biden to do?
                      1011 1100

Comment

lol, very funny.

I would have sat out the HRC/Trump contest. That was pure **** show all the way around.

I think we agree that Biden is a crap president.

Comment

It is why I have said elsewhere I believe the US is in a very bad place. A two party system can't function like this.

Comment

For some reason I'm excluded from voting in da US

But here's my totally expert opinion:

Biden has kept several of Trump's campaign promises. Leaving Afghanistan, doing infra stuff. Other than that he seems to do ok in the current Ukraine thing. While these are important in general, none of them are decisive as most ppl in most countries care most about issues closer to them.

Blah

Comment

Working...
                            X