Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is cold weather?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you think is cold weather?

    It is now the depths of winter here in Sydney, Australia.

    I am sitting here shivering with cold. It is 12 degrees celsius and 10 degrees is forecast for overnight. It is raining outside.

    The situation is grim. I am wearing two jackets and it is still cold.


  • #2
    Anything below 50f - 10c and I'm unhappy.
    With wind and humidity, I'm miserable.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

    Comment


    • #3
      Depends if there was cold or hot period before. For example 10C, sun, barely wind can be really nice after 3 weeks of harsh winter. Otoh 10C can be the horror after weeks of perfect summer, esp. if it's grey and rainy.

      Blah

      Comment


      • #4
        I remember back in the '80s meeting a woman who had just moved to Winnipeg from Nigeria. She was wearing a heavy sweater and shivering. It was early May and the temperature was about 20 C (about 70 F) and she couldn't believe how cold it was and would get colder at night!

        In February this year, there was eleven straight days where the temp. didn't get above -30 C ( -25 F). Most long time prairie folks complained about that. I still went out for a walk every day.

        If the temp. dips below -40 C/F, you need to be very careful outside. A Russian friend of mine, who was definitely dressed for the weather, once said, 'Jimmie, it's cold tonight!'... that evening the wind chill brought the temp. to around -50 (once you get below -40, doesn't matter which scale you use).
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Below forty to forty below.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
            I remember back in the '80s meeting a woman who had just moved to Winnipeg from Nigeria. She was wearing a heavy sweater and shivering. It was early May and the temperature was about 20 C (about 70 F) and she couldn't believe how cold it was and would get colder at night!

            In February this year, there was eleven straight days where the temp. didn't get above -30 C ( -25 F). Most long time prairie folks complained about that. I still went out for a walk every day.

            If the temp. dips below -40 C/F, you need to be very careful outside. A Russian friend of mine, who was definitely dressed for the weather, once said, 'Jimmie, it's cold tonight!'... that evening the wind chill brought the temp. to around -50 (once you get below -40, doesn't matter which scale you use).

            I have no idea how to dress for -40 C. I have never even seen snow. My idea of dressing for the cold is to wear a jumper and a jacket.

            Comment


            • #7
              Below ~5 C, less if it's dry and not a lot of wind.

              Lowest I've been was -40 in Lapland, but there wasn't any wind so a thick fleece jacket was more than enough (funnily, I felt colder in Berlin at 1-3 C but 80%+ humidity and a constant breeze).

              Wind and humidity can have huge effects on how you feel/experience temperature.

              On the other end, i suffer every time it gets above 25
              Indifference is Bliss

              Comment


              • Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                In Winnipeg, we boast about having a dry cold. And the last week here the temperature has been above +30 C, and humid; absolutely brutal.

              • Berzerker
                Berzerker commented
                Editing a comment
                I never thought about humidity as a factor with cold air, so dry heat and dry cold are better

              • N35t0r
                N35t0r commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, although below 0C the little humidity that the air can hold will make it pretty much irrelevant. Especially if it's generally dry, and your clothes also have very little humidity.

            • #8
              Originally posted by Braindead View Post


              I have no idea how to dress for -40 C. I have never even seen snow. My idea of dressing for the cold is to wear a jumper and a jacket.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	BAS-FIELD-CLOTHING-Layers-768x320.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	9421017

              The picture is courtesy of the British Antarctic Science mission.

              So, you are going to start with a long sleeve undershirt, and either long underwear or sweatpants. Next layer, will be maybe jeans and a shirt. Next you'll want snow pants or ski pants (middle picture). Usually, I'd wear a curling sweater over that (heavy wool). Then a knee length parka (with a hood). Accessorize with a heavy wool cap (under the hood), heavy scarf (or 2), heavy gloves, and heavy boots (preferably with 2 pair of wool socks). Note the above model is wearing ski goggles... anything on you that is uncovered will freeze in about 1 minute in -40 weather.

              I haven't worn my snow pants, or biggest parka, in years, even though we did have 11 days in a row brutal cold last February.
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

              Comment


              • #9
                single digits, if the wind is blowing hi 40s low 50s... we had a stretch of days in the single digits a few months ago, outer wall pipe froze... we've played golf in the hi 20s and low 30s if it isn't windy without too much discomfort.

                Comment


                • #10
                  It definitely depends on what you are use to. I have been cold at 15 C. Usually I can enjoy down to -5 C.

                  Usually I prefer not to spend much time outside below -20 C.

                  I generally find below -30 C to be very miserable.

                  JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	BAS-FIELD-CLOTHING-Layers-768x320.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	9421017

                    The picture is courtesy of the British Antarctic Science mission.

                    So, you are going to start with a long sleeve undershirt, and either long underwear or sweatpants. Next layer, will be maybe jeans and a shirt. Next you'll want snow pants or ski pants (middle picture). Usually, I'd wear a curling sweater over that (heavy wool). Then a knee length parka (with a hood). Accessorize with a heavy wool cap (under the hood), heavy scarf (or 2), heavy gloves, and heavy boots (preferably with 2 pair of wool socks). Note the above model is wearing ski goggles... anything on you that is uncovered will freeze in about 1 minute in -40 weather.

                    I haven't worn my snow pants, or biggest parka, in years, even though we did have 11 days in a row brutal cold last February.
                    Yikes! Thanks for this. I now have no desire to go near Antarctica.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      34C
                      Blah

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Any time I have to put on a jacket.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          -30C with a windchill of -40C
                          my mom remembers being in Ottawa when it was -50C
                          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

                          Comment


                          • Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well, I remember the temperature hitting -45C in Winnipeg... that was a little under 4 months ago, and an overnight low temp.

                        • #15
                          Like Bebro says, definitely depends on the temperatures you had in the period before.

                          Currently (with days of 30+ C) I would open all windows and enjoy the cool air, if one day there were temperatrures of 15C

                          I think I would call it cold if I had several days/weeks of >= 10 or erven 5 C
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X