No announcement yet.

Should Biden pardon Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With racketeering charges, it usually works the other way around. You offer deals to the enablers (accountants etc.) who knew the operations weren't quite above board for testimony and evidence that can guarantee a conviction.

Treason is a whole different enchilada. Again, Trump has upped thing to a level never conceived in US law... a President asking his supporters to attack Congress. Should he be pardoned? Absolutely not. Can a civilian court handle a case like this? Probably not. Will the US military put him on trial? Very unlikely.

Remember Capone went to jail for Tax fraud, something Trump is suspected of.

I wonder if there are any Bulgarians with umbrellas in Washington that could help?
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

No, no no NO

Absolutely not

This would be considered APPEASEMENT

These traitors are not the kind of people who are offered an olive branch and will meet halfway. Any sort of kindness is a sucker's bet.

Hitler failed a coup, was jailed, pardoned, then came back and that didn't go so well.

Dumbest idea ever.

These guys are not interested in healing, they are just trying to

GET OFF THE HOOK
      Keep the pressure on until justice is served

Comment

New York considers minor tax crimes but nothing else actually sticks. That is my prediction. The lefties are fooling themselves if they think anything else will happen.
        Last edited by Dinner; January 17, 2021, 01:45.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Berzerker
          Berzerker commented
          Editing a comment
          Given how much scrutiny he's been under from the IRS over the decades I suspect you're right. They would have found something serious before now. I heard he was suspected of playing games with the value of property to reduce taxes.

• Dinner
          Dinner commented
          Editing a comment
          I heard the same about upping and lowering estimated values of realestate whenever it was convenient to do so. The problem is estimates are always an opinion not based upon anything hard and fast so it is difficult to prove ill intent.

• Dauphin
          Dauphin commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on the extent of the disparity in the valuations. If you claim a property is worth $300m in order to obtain a loan, but it was appraised at $50m, and had a declared value of $7m for tax assessment, I think it goes beyond variance in opinion.

Depends on your definition of 'minor', I would agree that it is a reasonable prediction.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No.

Comment

Trump seem concerned about future legal issues once he leaves the WH... but that's coming from unnamed sources in the WH, so you never know. I predict that there is enough crap being thrown at the wall that something will stick. How bad, who knows, but once the protection of the office disappears... he's fair game and he knows it.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
              Telling people to peacefully protest a government action is not a crime, so criticize him if you think he went over the line rhetorically. It appears some/many people who broke in were planning to and at least 1 was a BLM/Antifa activist who recorded himself inciting the riot (doh). From what I saw the rioters mostly looked like a MAGA version of Antifa, plenty of black clothing and tools of trade. If I have a problem with what happened, it was any delay in responding to the riot. Did Trump wait and how long before responding to calm tensions?

I watched Democrats spend 4 years 'inciting' hatred of Trump, his supporters, and the cops and there is no doubt that fueled the riots we saw. But if you look at the statistics more unarmed black people were killed under Obama and the number had been going down and black people were actually doing better under Trump. I think thats why we saw the riots, drive a wedge between black voters and Trump. He was competing for the Democrat's black base so they started a war.
              You left out the parts where Trump and his folks said stuff that was not peaceful. Or does "trial by combat" "fighting" (in several variations) "we're coming for ya" "etcetc. sound like meant to gear up for a peaceful protest on Jan6?

And yeah, blame somebody else. Well, if that's the illusion you want to live in...
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post

You left out the parts where Trump and his folks said stuff that was not peaceful. Or does "trial by combat" "fighting" (in several variations) "we're coming for ya" "etcetc. sound like meant to gear up for a peaceful protest on Jan6?

And yeah, blame somebody else. Well, if that's the illusion you want to live in...
                Lets just deal with what Trump said. Because those parts are subjective, politicians everywhere use language like that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...ments-n1150036

Impeach Schumer? The chief justice accused him of threatening members of the court.

I blame the people who attacked the capitol, looks to me like they were planning that and ignored Trump's request for a peaceful protest.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                  -Jrabbit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Politicians talk that way" is not a reasonable argument. This was Don Jr, Giuliani, and Trump himself, directly addressing over 10,000 followers who were literally waiting to be told what to do after making the trip to DC. Protester after protester said they were there 'because my President told me, come to DC on Jan 6'.
                  Trump gave the speech that sent them off to the Capitol. His "request for a peaceful protest" was clearly just to cover his ass. He also said "if you don't fight, you lose your country." He wants it both ways.
                  Clearly, there were well-planned, deliberately violent elements, likely from anti-government types and anarchists. Trump's crowd clearly gave them the cover they needed.
                  But Trump was openly begging for his people to show up and make trouble. And they did.
                  And Trump certainly did nothing to discourage it.

Bottom line: The fact that, in the middle of the riot, with the Capitol under siege, Trump was never removed to a safe location, tells you all you should need to know.

<Lots of BS> and ignored Trump's request for a peaceful protest.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Lets just deal with what Trump said. Because those parts are subjective, politicians everywhere use language like that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...ments-n1150036

Impeach Schumer? The chief justice accused him of threatening members of the court.

I blame the people who attacked the capitol, looks to me like they were planning that and ignored Trump's request for a peaceful protest.
                  The people who attacked the capital were parroting back all of Trump's talking points about stolen elections and voter fraud. Are we to believe that they were angry for reasons other than what Trump primed them to be angry about. Your position seems to be akin to saying that if a person kills someone whilst drunk driving it's not the fault of the person who plied them with alcohol, gave them the keys to their car and gave them directions home and told them to drive safe.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If Trump had said "WE LOST THE ELECTION FAIR AND SQUARE" and stopped with his BS lies that it was stolen, none of this would have happened. Instead, he continued to egg them on. He asked the people to come, set the stage, and lit the match. The only reason this happened is Trump. But I guess that's too hard of a concept for some people to see.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

time will tell
                      Last edited by Berzerker; January 17, 2021, 00:49.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post

Do you think he didn't say it or do you believe what he said was outweighed by other things he said? If the later than can you please detail specific quotes which would fit the legal definition of direct incitement to violence. That is a very high standard to meet which is why I say he is extremely unlikely to ever be found guilty in a court of law. Impeachment is an entirely political exercise with no legal standards which is why both parties try it when ever they have the votes to do it. It is more just a political show and nothing more these days.

Comment

A window into Trump's approach to taxes:

Westchester Golf Club

Bought for $8m in 2008.
                          Assessed it at $15m for tax purposes in 2015
                          Trump filed a grievance claiming it was only worth $1.5m, and paid the taxes 'under protest'.
                          In 2017, Trump's financial disclosures (a public record for ethical disclosure by government officials) ascribed it a value of over $50m. https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...sure-2017.html

In this case, he paid the due taxes and it's a dispute, but sure shows a proclivity for aggressively undervaluing for tax treatment whilst aggressively bloating for public disclosures.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yep, it is a game lots of people play though Trump seems to have been far more aggressive with it. We'd need someone who knows the law in that state to tell us what is legal and illegal. In California the government must value a property at its last sale price no matter how far back that was. It does mean der people who have lived in one house for a long time get away with paying far less but it also prevents state or local governments from arbitrarily adjusting valuations whenever they are short on cash. In the 1970's people in California were pissed because state and local governments were doing just that and people were getting taxed out of their homes when they suddenly had a 500% increase on their property taxes.

Comment

• Berzerker
                              Berzerker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              yup, my property taxes are outrageous and this is rural red state Kansas... The property's actual value has declined because of all the needed repairs but the assessors keep bumping it up. I finally had to challenge them and they gave me a little relief but still over valued the place.
                          Working...
                          X