My cat is cheating on me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cat is cheating on me.

So, about four months ago my family adopted a cat which was about three months old. We have a dog door into the backyard for our pet dog and it didn’t take long for kitty to learn how to use the dog door but we just hoped for the best and trusted kitty would learn where home was and that he would come back. After all he was well loved, well petted, and well fed so why wouldn’t he? We never put a collar on him (we were afraid it might get caught in a bush and accidentally hang him) but he is chipped (right between the shoulder blades) but kitty came back each night and never missed a meal.

About a week ago we noticed he started staying out over night, we were all worried so we got our flashlights and would spend a good hour walking around the neighborhood and calling for him to no avail. The next morning he turned up meowing at the door and being quite hungry so we just assumed he was out exploring all night and came back when he got hungry. The truth was revealed though when I spoke with one of my neighbors. It turns out kitty has been going from house to house meowing and getting free food, he’s been doing this for a while, some times neighbors even kept him over night thinking he was a stray.

It turns out my family cat has just been using his cuteness to get free food from a number of my neighbors and only coming back home when he was good and ready. The damn cat has been cheating on us with every soft touch in the neighborhood!
    Last edited by Dinner; August 24, 2020, 01:40.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

We give him canned cat food mixed with dry cat food. Two of my neighbors have said they saw him and thought he was a stray. The first fed him roast chicken while the second fed him left over baked salmon. It turns out kitty has decided roast chicken and baked salmon is far better than even canned cat food (we normally go to Walmart and get an assortment for just $0.39 per can). It seems my cat is a gourmand and prefers the finer foods in life.

No wonder he is no longer eating all of his food.

Comment

I can almost hear kitty say “why would I eat cat food when I can get suckers to feed me roast chicken and baked salmon?”

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        I can almost hear kitty say “why would I eat cat food when I can get suckers to feed me roast chicken and baked salmon?”

We had a cat that preferred roast chicken. If I was having roast chicken or roast beef for my dinner I had to watch the cat even if food had been put out for her, She would often jump up on the table to see if she could get my dinner. She did get it once, lucky cat.

Comment

Oh, we have the same problem. Kitty will happily jump up on the table and then you have to shoo off the cat off while the ten year old happily tries to feed his dinner to the cat. You have to tell the boy, no, don’t feed your food to the cat!

Don’t even start me on the dog because he will sit there drooling while the cat tries to help himself.
          Last edited by Dinner; August 24, 2020, 03:41.

Comment

I would feed the cat, every time. It was always at the table in the back yard.

The cat is no more as she was hit by a car.

Comment

She was 17 years old. Her 16 year old son had to be put down a couple of months later. He had cancer, arthritis and poor teeth and was in constant pain.

The cats were not mine. They belonged to my housemate. They were very cats and I miss them.

Comment

Poor kitty.

Comment

I saw a baby cat in vacations. Extremely cute. At the fish taverna
                  I threw some fish at it. Pretty good fish. Left them untouched
                  But the owner told me she's used to only the highest genre of fish.

I don't know the names of the fish and they probably don't exist outside the mediteranean.

But that was one eclectic kitten

Comment

He wouldn't be named Sid by any chance?
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

No but that might have been better!

Comment

Walmart?

Comment

We had a black half Persian while in San Francisco (we lived on Mt Davidson, the one with the giant concrete cross featured in Dirty Harry). We had a cat door and racoon families would come inside. The cat gradually stopped showing up but I'd see him while doing my early morning paper route once in a great while.

One day he met me in the street as 2 other cats showed up on the steep hill overlooking us. The bigger of the two cats came down into the street to challenge our cat, so he took off running up the hill at the smaller cat. A few seconds later I heard cat screeching and I looked at the big cat that had joined us on the street, he was just as surprised as me.

I shouldn't have been surprised, our cat took on 3 of the neighborhood dogs when they made the mistake of cornering him against a garage door. There was a blurred flurry of cat paws and all 3 dogs took off yelping.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                            Walmart?
                            Meh, same brand cat food as the pet stores but cheaper. :shrug:

Comment

• Berzerker
                              Berzerker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              yeah, dont buy their crap either

they carry quality food, it just costs more

• Dinner
                              Dinner commented
                              Editing a comment
                              He seems to prefer fancy feast brand canned food. Especially their "gravy lovers" line.

There is only one cat living here now that the others passed away over the last couple of years. The cat belongs to my housemate. When my housemate goes away for a weekend it falls to me to feed the cat but the cat never comes to me for food. She disappears for the weekend and I can no find her. I do not know what she does for food. I have no idea whether she gets neighbours to feed her, catchs mice or goes without. She always reapparears as soon as my housemate returns from her weekend away.

Comment

Working...
                            X