The Tachyon Hoax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tachyon Hoax

Most physicists believe that faster-than-light particles cannot exist because they are not consistent with the known laws of physics. Found it all out myself when reading Wikipedia
    Blah

You've also got to watch out for nintendos, they pass through anything.
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Not so! Special relativity only says you cannot accelerate to >= c. Special relativity also implies that if you want ftl and consistency, you must choose between special relativity and causality.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        Not so! Special relativity only says you cannot accelerate to >= c. Special relativity also implies that if you want ftl and consistency, you must choose between special relativity and causality.
        Can you rephrase that for us laymen? I assume >=c means nothing can accelerate faster than light, But what is ftl and consistency. Maybe I should read up on special relativity before venturing into this thread.

Comment

Did you know Jack in the Box raised the price on their tacos? It is now $1.29 which is a full $0.30 cents more.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

Can you rephrase that for us laymen? I assume >=c means nothing can accelerate faster than light, But what is ftl and consistency. Maybe I should read up on special relativity before venturing into this thread.
            I wrote a post about this 2 years ago. Most of the explanation comes in the form of pictures.

In Star Trek, the Federation is a post-capitalist utopia where citizens act out of a desire to better themselves or civilization rather than...

There's a saying about this. Pick two: special relativity, FTL, or causality.

As we've just seen, special relativity + FTL means you lose a coherent narrative leading from the past to the future. You can preserve causality with FTL but only if you abandon the rules of special relativity. Or you can live in the universe we seem to inhabit, which has relativity and causality but loses all that FTL fun.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
            X