Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republicans in NC take a **** on 9/11 victims.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republicans in NC take a **** on 9/11 victims.

The North Carolina House of Representatives held a surprise emergency session on September 11 and voted to override Gov. Roy Cooper's veto of the General Assembly's proposed budget.

Democrats said they were lied to and specifically told no vote would happen Wednesday morning. Instead, Republicans held a vote with 64 of the 120 members of the House present. The vote ended up being 55-9 with the nine present Democrats voting against the override and vehemently objecting to the vote taking place.

After Gov. Roy Cooper finished speaking at the North Carolina National Guard September 11 Commemoration, he held a press conference about what the Republicans had done.

"For a decade, this Republican legislature elected by unconstitutional means has used tricks and bullying to starve our public schools and deny healthcare to half-a-million working North Carolinians," Cooper said at a news conference. "They used lies, bribes and illegal districts because their policies damage our state and can't pass on their own merit. Today, on the 18th anniversary of 9-11, while the state was honoring first responders, Republicans called a deceptive surprise override of my budget veto."

In a response to Cooper's remarks, House Speaker Tim Moore told reporters policy was followed.

"I've made it clear, I've said right here from where I am on the floor, everywhere, if I see an opportunity to override this budget, this veto, I was going to take that vote," Moore said. "Under our rules, we took a vote on the override. It was properly noticed, procedures properly followed and we took the vote. And I think it's a great day for North Carolina because we finally are a step closer to having a budget."

Republicans had wanted to override Cooper's budget veto for months but did not have the three-fourths of the vote required to override the veto. Without the votes, Republicans kept the veto override on the calendar but never brought it to the floor--until Wednesday.

Democrats charge Republicans with deliberately lying (by saying they would not call a vote on the morning of Sept. 11) in order to push through the vote with just 53 percent of North Carolina representatives present--and with the vast majority of those present being Republicans plotting to override the budget veto.

Rep. Jason Saine (R-Lincolnton) called the motion for the vote. He made the motion for the vote and made no bones about the fact that it was called during a state memorial ceremony remembering the sacrifices made during the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

"As a former firefighter and an American, I am appalled that anyone in our country would stop going about their normal business on this day. When we stop being a beacon of freedom, hope and democracy, then the terrorists win," Saine said in a statement.
    The North Carolina House of Representatives held a surprise emergency session on September 11 and voted to override Gov. Roy Cooper's veto of the General Assembly's proposed budget.

They want a dictatorship.

thats slimy

Comment

Very dirty. That said, the Dems were f’ing idiots. They should know the other side will use any trick they can yet they decided to not show up for work and do campaigning stuff instead. Who’s fault is that?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Not all Republicans
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• -Jrabbit
          -Jrabbit commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL.
          Dude, you are the Generalizer-in-Chief, Mr. "You All" himself. It's one of the keys to confirming what a shallow thinker you are.

And it's fake news

Comment

Are you claiming this didn't happen? Talk about delusional.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A D lost her poop over this and it's fake. Classic D

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing fake about it. The NC Senate still has to vote to override, and they only need one Dem to cross over to make that happen. But the NC House override definitely happened. Was it technically legal? Yes. It was also most definitely a sneaky, underhanded, and deliberate trick -- as the GOP speaker proudly admitted.

Why do you hate democracy, Kidicious?

• Kidlicious
              Kidlicious commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope. The vote was announced. There's video.

Would they have retained quorum if the nine democrats had left the chambers? Generally, if a quorum is broken during a meeting, business ceases.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Quorum in NC legislature is a just a majority.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                So, in a 120 member house, the quorum is 61. There were 55 GOP and 9 Dems voting... if the 9 Dems walked out before the vote was called, quorum would have been broken and business would have ceased.

That is what the Dems should have done.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
              X