Apolyton Advises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Advises

So I didn't take the advice last year to look into consulting or meetups, rather I worked on various physics projects and applied to more physics positions. However, my search for an academic position was still not successful and I have been looking for Industry/Tech positions for a little over a month now with less success than I hoped, but enough (onsite interview) for me to realize that I could use some advice.

One thing that I think should be a bigger concern for me than it has been is what the title is and how the work fits into the company. As a postdoc and a professor, I have always lead projects. I think that I have a wrong impression that I can step into a Tech position, identify a good project, convince people it should be done and then lead it when maybe a better understanding is that depending on the position/title I wouldn't do any of that and would rather just do very specific applications that I am told to do. If I want a Tech position of the former type, what do I need to look for in the advertisement and what I questions do I need to ask understand the role?

There is also the whole dance about compensation and the point that there seems to be a lot more opportunity if you live near Silicon Valley or Seattle than if you live in other parts of the country (even Chicago).

I have attached my abridged CV. I am currently working on two Machine Learning papers which I expect to have complete drafts for later this month, with two more in the immediate pipeline (so all four should be submitted this year, even if my collaborators end up doing more of the work for the latter two).

JM
    Attached Files
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

How much networking have you done with people in relevant lines of work? I assume you have the same everybody-likes-you quality IRL, so anyone you know in whatever biz who you haven't contacted looking for leads, I guess you should. I am teh suck at the job-hunting, but I hear knowing someone is the #1 way people get jobs worth having...
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Actually, the onsite interview (which I think it is likely that I will have an offer from on Monday) was due to a friend of a friend referring me. I haven't really reached out, in a general way, to friends or colleagues about my decision to change fields. I realize that now I should.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

On the other hand, I have mostly lived (and made friends) out of the US in the last decade and have done little networking, period, in the past 4.5 years.

JM
        (this surely was the primary count against me in my physics job search, my best interview (for a tenure-tracked position at Madison) was surely due to my network (from 2010-2012) there.)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I don't know much about machine learning, but if you had a way to teach my toaster to make crispy toast without burning the bread, I'd be grateful.

This will be my only toast poast.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

If you are willing to move to the San Francisco Bay Area, I can internally refer you to plenty of Machine Learning research jobs. However, you would not lead a team. You would join an existing team with an existing project. In a year or two, you would most likely have the opportunity to pick a topic, lead a team, or both.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I have another interview in Bay Area on Friday and might find out I have an interview in Seattle tomorrow.

I called a friend (in Seattle) who explained a bit about the field. He suggested that I would be more interested in ML scientist or ML research scientist than ML engineer positions.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• pchang
                pchang commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. The ML Research Scientist jobs are the ones I think you would be more suited for.

I think the next two interviews are for ML Scientist jobs. If you could direct me towards ML Research Scientist jobs, I would appreciate it.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Thank you and I appreciate the offer.

The Core Machine Learning position looks interesting and I applied to it a few weeks ago. I would also be interested in the Machine Perception and Learning Scientist position and the Machine Learning Scientist position.

I am actually about to leave for the airport for another interview in the Bay Area.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• pchang
                pchang commented
                Editing a comment
                I have entered you into the system. One of the roles I included was based in NYC,. I hope that is OK.

Bump so I don't forget about this.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Thank you pchang. I expect NYC is fine.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Any news?

Comment

I have two offers and possibly a third (from my other applications). The recruiter from FB contacted me twice and asked me about locations (Seattle/Menlo Park) but hasn't set up an interview yet. Today I told him I had a deadline, so I expect to hear back very soon.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Congratulations. If you have the offers, you should take one. Facebook is notoriously slow when it comes to the interview process (while being notoriously quick when doing just about everything else).

Comment

My wife and I are talking, and that is what we are inclined to do.

Thank you!

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                        X