International Travel Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Travel Questions

In September I'm traveling to Geneva for a planetary science conference. I've never left the US before so I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

For those of you have traveled internationally, what do I need to know to make the experience as painless as possible (for me and the Swiss people who will be forced to interact with me)? Something about different electric outlets, right?

If there's anybody who's been to Switzerland or Geneva specifically, any advice to offer? I just learned that Switzerland is not in the EU and doesn't use the Euro. So that's good to know.

(I do already have my passport.)

Thanks. Monkeys.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

You'll have a great, great time.
    I'm finishing my thai shrimp chips and I'll chip in

Comment

I've been to Geneva airport ( ) but have friends who've been and lived in switzerland.

Ok.

1. Get electric adaptors for your electronic devices. European sockets are different and voltage is different. That means you need an adaptor who will turn your USA socket into a aeuropean one and also deal with 220 volts vs 120 vols (If I'm not mistaken) in the US

2. Switzerland is not in the EU and doesn't use the euro. Doesn't matter. Just use your credit/ bank cards. Change some dollars into swiss franks (there are exchange offices everywhere) but keep paying with cards. Easy. No fuss. Call your bank first and ask if there is a commission for paying with credit cards in europe. I'm pretty sure there isn't. You'll need *some* francs for some very rare ocasions where you can't use a credit card. (going to a public toilet for example maybe)

3. Switzerland is a multilingual country. They speak german, french and italian. But I'm pretty sure they speak at least basic english. But take care not to speak too fast.

4. Switzerland is scandalously rich. even by western european standards. A basic meal can cost 40 or 50 euros which is like 60 or 70 dollars. It is very VERY expensive. Keep that in mind. Although they'll probably feed you, the ones who invited you. If not there are always the supermarkets. (for not eating out ALL the time - $$$$ expensive)

5. There are two things, TWO things to have on you all the time and keep an eye on all the time. This is a) your passport b) your wallet containing your credit cards and money. Keep those always on you and always somwhere safe - an inside pocket for example?

6. Be alert on mass transportation. There are thieves every where. Guard and keep an eye on the two items I told you about. If you feel some annoying pressure/hassle on your shoulder, someone is picking your pocket.

7. You'll have a great time. Americans are somewhat "exotic" () and people will want to talk to you. Nobody cares about italians, they're next door.
      Last edited by Bereta_Eder; August 5, 2019, 15:04.

Comment

Oh and general travelling advice,

1. Check the weather prediction for the city you're going to and bring appropriate clothing. Having a thin wool sweater regardless, is always a good idea.

2. You'll walk. Bring shoes that can be worn at formal meetings AND be extra comfortable for long long walks. It's better if you have one pair that can meet both those needs. taking a second pair wastes space, but if you have to bring one, then bring it.

get these with you.https://www.compeed.us/

3. Prepare for your free time. Do research and make a list of the sites you'll want to visit while in Geneva beofre leaving home and also note that trains in Europe are extra fast and distances are small. You can basically go anywhere within switzerland and beyong with a fast train in a day (they are expensive thiugh, the fast ones)

4. Liquids are forbiden in european airports. You'll only get to bring a small bottle of deodorant and have it stored inside a small airlocked plastic bag. When passing control of a european airport, take said bag with very small liquid bottles out of your suitcase. Also take out of your suitcase any electronic device. (tablet, laptop).
        Last edited by Bereta_Eder; August 5, 2019, 15:19.

Comment

All in all Geneva is a small french speaking sympathetic and fithily rich community.
          You are relatively close to Florence (cradle of the Enlightment) and Paris (cradle of nearly everything)
          And Milano (cradle of Gucci)

Comment

Thank you!

I have a per diem from the university that should cover food. I don't know yet how much free time I'll have, but I will probably get to visit CERN.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Can't help, the only time I was there, it was sitting in an airport switching planes.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oh and also, check with your mobile provider about maybe having a data plan for abroad. Phone calls and SMS are a no-no they are too expensive (unless you're from an EU state to another EU state in which case they are the same as in your home country).
                You'll get free wifi nearly everywhere but check your mobile provider for info about cheap data plan for abroad. it can come handy for google maps navigation and other stuff. Not checking could mean you paying very dearly for data.

Don't take taxis. It's as simple as that. Too expensive. They are the real thieves. Plus you can get anywhere with public transportation.

And yes Paris, Florence or even Milan are too far away for a casual visit... But I hear CERN is a hit among scientists so you'll have a blast there!

Comment

Use a credit card to pay for everything. If you don't have to use cash, it will be much easier for you. Geneva is in the French speaking part of Switzerland. Try and learn some French between now and then. Food is much more expensive in Switzerland than you are used to. Accept it and get over it. Rely on Google maps and try and walk as much as you can. The google map estimates for walking times are actually pretty good. Use them to help your planning.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Switzerland in a remarkably clean and tidy country. They take littering very seriously. Or smoking in non designated places. Have Fun!
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I’ve never been to Europe, but I’ve learned from Apolyton that you should prepare for using squat toilets.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        Try and learn some French between now and then.
                        Duolingo here I come.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                          Uncle Sparky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          All you need to learn is, "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"

I think the Swiss have found a nice solution to gun violence. When holding a grudge they just work it out by firing lotsa bullets into cheese.

Then they sell that cheese riddled with holes as something special...
                        Blah

Comment

Oh, and never use one of those rolling suitcases. Because I hate them.

Not specifically as suitcases, but the fact that usually hordes of ppl are blocking everything with them.

Of course, I'm not in Geneva, so you may be able to sneak one in...
                          Blah

Comment

• pchang
                            pchang commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Geneva has plenty of gentle slopes. Sitting on a rolling suitcase and riding down hill can be fun.

Don't worry. I hate them, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X