Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

Comment

Have him study why, in the Solo movie, did they feel it was necessary to make Han shoot first?

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

He could be assembling a comprehensive catalog of the midichlorian genome.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
          My god. I love it. I think this is the one. Thanks!!!

Comment

Explain why the Solo movie has ****ing trains.

Comment

Originally posted by spambot View Post
              Explain why the Solo movie has ****ing trains.
              Doesn't seem to be too hard to imagine that even in the Star Wars universe, for intraplanetary medium distance transportation of goods, a transport via MagLev ist still much cheaper than a transport via space ships or speeder transports
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post

I REALLY want to use this idea but it gets too close to the Force for comfort and could radically change everything. I noticed you have really good ideas. You’re a very smart guy/girl. Do you have any other ideas?

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you assume that The Force requires conscious intent in order to activate, then the genome does nothing Force-wise because genes have no intention. This would give an explanation why “science” is fundamentally unable to explain the Force.

• Maximum7
                  Maximum7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I guess that’s true. Just a little too close for comfort.

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Doesn't seem to be too hard to imagine that even in the Star Wars universe, for intraplanetary medium distance transportation of goods, a transport via MagLev ist still much cheaper than a transport via space ships or speeder transports
                Also, how'd they do a train robbery without them

Blah

Comment

I’m looking to do something with bacta. What can be improved about bacta?

Comment

• pchang
                    pchang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What is a bacta?

• Maximum7
                    Maximum7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s a gelatinous healing substance that the galaxy uses. It’s in the tank Luke Skywalker was in when he was being healed in ESB after he got attacked by the Wampa.

• Spray-Can? Perhaps a suit of some sort?(well, more like a tank shaped like a suit so that you don't need a full-sized tank. Considerable space savings. Not really any more mobile than a real-world full body cast but still less cumbersome than a 3 meter tall tank.)
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                  Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                  Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Perhaps the taste of Bacta could be improved, so that you will actually enjoy swimming in a Bacta tank for several days
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• pchang
                      pchang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perhaps the taste affects its healing abilities. I could see roast pork flavor being superior to kale flavor.

• Maximum7
                      Maximum7 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can’t ingest bacta.

• I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.

Things he can’t be working on

1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.

4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel

5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel

6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base

7.) Space elevator- They have those

8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with

9) Alderton Disk- Too big

10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda

11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those

12.) Any type of space habitat.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximum7 View Post

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

If you mean some kind of human with the analytical capabilities of a computer ... well, in Dune they are called Mentats

Another interesting thing from the Dune-Universe:
                      Gholas

They are like Clones from a dead person, grown from a tissue sample. But in contrast to a normal clone, they retain all the memories and behaviors that the original had up till the time that the tissue sample was taken.

Comment

• On improving the hyperdrive. What could he do to improve it besides:

*Making them travel through hyperspace faster

*Requiring less fuel

*Allowing them to leave the galaxy and travel to others

Comment

• I watched Solo a Star Wars Story last night on Netflix. It was fun though obviously aimed at a younger crowd and not exactly the most surprising plot line on the planet. In fact, it was a bit predictable. Still, fun to watch and the nine year old liked it.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                          X