Untold History: when Germany declared War on Pringles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untold History: when Germany declared War on Pringles

A World War One-era German hand grenade has been found among a delivery of potatoes shipped from France to a crisp factory in Hong Kong, police say.

The muddy device, which was 3in (8cm) wide, was "in an unstable condition" because it had been discharged but had failed to detonate, officials said.

It was discovered at the Calbee crisp-making factory in the eastern Sai Kung district on Saturday morning.

The bombe de terre was safely detonated on site by bomb disposal officers.

"All the information to date suggests that the grenade was imported from France together with the other potatoes," Superintendant Wong Ho-hon told reporters.

He added that the device was defused using a "high-pressure water firing technique".
    full: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47107609

Blah

Explosive great taste!
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

The background of this is that the Kaiser always wanted to put Pringles on top of his spiked helmet, but then got furious every time they broke into pieces when he tried. One day he finally had enough...
      Blah

Comment

Explosives become more unstable with age, but at a certain point, they lose their explosiveness. If WW1 era stuff is still dangerous, maybe US Civil War stuff is safe? It probably depends on the amount of explosives. I could see it degrading according to some half-life like equation over time.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Pringles however remain a threat forever...

Comment

B O M B E . D E . T E R R E

Comment

I like how they changed Pom de terre to bomb de terre.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                Explosives become more unstable with age, but at a certain point, they lose their explosiveness. If WW1 era stuff is still dangerous, maybe US Civil War stuff is safe? It probably depends on the amount of explosives. I could see it degrading according to some half-life like equation over time.
                Depends on the chemistry, really. Explosive substances that can autopolymerize fit the bill on both counts, but those that can't tend to stay stable indefinitely.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Assuming they were all that stable to begin with, of course.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Pringles are the worst type of potato chip. People who eat them are almost as wrong as people who put corn in chowder.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Potato-chip racism! Chipist!
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
                        Potato-chip racism! Chipist!
                        You are cute when you are angry.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

If I could go back in time, I'd find the first year when something capable of reproducing with me walked. Then I'd try to civilization better than the ****show that happened.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Fun fact: I have a cousin who was one of the engineers on the team that originally developed Pringles for Proctor & Gamble in Cincinnati.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• pchang
                              pchang commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Genius way to extract value from potato scraps which would otherwise be wasted.

• -Jrabbit
                              -Jrabbit commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yeah, Pringles are something like 42% potato. Developed back when they were still called chemical engineers, not "food scientists."
                          Working...
                          X