Quick marketing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick marketing question

Stuck on a title for my next novel; without knowing anything about it, which strikes you as a better/more interesting title, "Black Band," "The Black Band," "Chains of Fire," or "Rammash"? I suppose I can tell you that it's a somewhat grim fantasy--attempts to write a sequel or remake of the last one all fizzled--that I'm going to try and serialize this thing before I publish it, and that the official blurb would go something like, "On a world wracked by cosmic disaster every four days, one young man is forced to grow up in a hurry when his father is crippled by a monster attack. Leaving his village and everything he has known behind, he sets out to save his family from ruin. But he soon finds that the world will ask more of him than he cares to give it. How much will he sacrifice, and for what cause?"

I'm leaning towards Chains of Fire, personally (Rammash is Our Hero's name), but the main consideration is that it be memorable and not be claimed as "[book title].wordpress.com." Or possibly "[booktitle]novel.wordpress.com." Haven't decided that, either. Whichever decision I make, I'll have time to reconsider. I've written a chapter and a half so far, and plan to update in snippets that take, by WP's estimate, ten minutes to read.

EDIT: Before anybody asks, it's not told in letter format, and Ram is a much more decisive personality than Yunise. We is learning.
    Last edited by Elok; January 16, 2019, 19:35.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Chains of Fire. Anything associated with BDSM has gotta be better.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

All of your proposed titles are boring.

Comment

I have no idea what it is about but chains of fire does indeed hit the bdsm sweet spot.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This is, uh, not encouraging.
          1011 1100

Comment

How about something that highlights the 4 day disaster cycle. If not, Chains of fire was the better out of the four, but none really jumped off the page.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The four day disaster cycle is sort of a thing they've acclimated to, and doesn't bear on him directly except insofar as it makes life horrible for everyone and forces him to live in an unjust society. I did consider "Under the White Sun" (the harmful star that rises instead of the normal one every four days), but thought it sounded like some kind of weird travelogue or something. How is "Pyrebound"? It's much the same as Chains of Fire, but uses in-world terminology and hasn't been done before per Goodreads.

Thank you for the not-wiseass answer.
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                How about something that highlights the 4 day disaster cycle. If not, Chains of fire was the better out of the four, but none really jumped off the page.
                bonus points for references to Time Cube

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I like "Rammash", but have no idea what it means.

Also when chosen it should be still checked by some language experts to rule out that it means something terribly obscene/offensive for ppl in a remote part of our planet/galaxy.

I like "Pyrebound" too because it's short and sounds kinda cool to me

Marketing-wise I dunno what kind of titles are considered good or not.
                  Blah

Comment

Yeah, I think Pyrebound would be better also. A more mysterious title that would make me want to read to find out about it

But then, I know I will probably be reading it anyway. (and for the record I still liked your first one despite some of it's shortcomings)
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rammash is the main character's name. I included it only to have another option, and I'm almost certainly not going to use it.

EDIT: Also, thanks, everyone! I'm probably going with Pyrebound.
                      Last edited by Elok; January 17, 2019, 12:49.
                      1011 1100

Comment

pyrebound.wordpress.com

is the EDIT: NEW address. I'm not sure how to tag the posts; I've got "serial fiction," "fantasy," "read online" and "grimdark," though I'm not sure the latter applies by the strictest definitions of the term. I'll be switching out the header image eventually too, and probably some other crap as well. I'm not much for design, honestly.
                        Last edited by Elok; January 17, 2019, 21:32.
                        1011 1100

Comment

Het is goed dat je aandacht besteedt aan de titel van je roman, omdat het noodzakelijk is dat de titel pakkend is, zodat iemand gedwongen wordt de roman te kopen en te lezen. Dus volgens mij is ketting van vuur beter. Ik werk al geruime tijd op het gebied van digitale marketing en kan zien dat een titel veel verschil kan maken, omdat je misschien geweldige inhoud hebt geschreven, maar het heeft geen zin als je titel niet pakkend is en mensen er niet aan zullen denken het lezen. Ik gebruik over het algemeen Sitechecker.pro seo tool in mijn digitale marketing werkt omdat het goedkoop en accuraat is. Het helpt me om mijn werk sneller af te ronden en ik zal deze tool aanbevelen aan iedereen die SEO doet.

Comment

Quite...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I find most people are afraid to listen to the other side. I go out of my way to listen to multiple different view points. To ideologically possessed hyper partisan hacks like Mobius that is treason but I have always wanted to hear what each side had to say in their own words then I make up my mind. I find the vast majority of leftists do have a problem these days in that they only listen to what their own side has to say and while the opposite is true among conservatives (they do listen to everyone). We can see this in studies of who follows who on social media platforms like Twitter. The left unfriends anyone who is not ideologically pure while the center and the right tend to listen to everyone and engage in discussion. It does raise a good question about why the political left has become so weak at discussion and argumentation as well as so intolerant of opposing views.

And, no, it isn'
                              t because everyone else is a Nazi. That is just a lame claim dullards make when they have no logical arguments.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X