No announcement yet.

Leaving forevah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As this thread is about the holidays....

It looks like we will get a white Christmas after all even if only in the mountains. Where I live on the coast we only got rain, as usual. I drove my dad and I to my sistwr's house today and saw a good dozen or so accidents during the one hour journey in the pouring rain. Proven yet again that people in SoCal cannot drive in the rain much less the snow. No wonder the highway patrol has to tell people not go up to the mountains without chains.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Pictures of some unusual activities in SoCal.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        You do realize how many people die of a heart attack by shoveling with a shovel?
        Please document this - exercise is good for you even when it's snow shoveling.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
          Is this not a little early for you?
          No, I'm not Old Calendar. I think most of us celebrate on the twenty-fifth.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post

Two Ottawa men suffered heart attacks Tuesday while clearing the heavy snowfall, prompting paramedics to issue a reminder about the dangers of shovelling or snow-bl…

Granted, it usually a life time achievement event but there are many articles that show that shoveling can be the straw that breaks the camels back.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ha, it's not even new year yet. I'm going into exile again soon
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post

Shoveling snow is documented to cause about 100 deaths/year in the U.S.
                Documentation? Here you go:

The BBC reported on a study from the U.S. Nationwide Children's Hospital in 2014 that found 1,647 people died from shoveling snow from 1990 to 2006, an average of about 100 deaths per year. Barry Franklin, director of preventative cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation at William Beaumont Hospital, Michigan, told the BBC he believes that number could be much higher.

"I believe we lose hundreds of people each year because of this activity," he told the BBC.

If your driveway is still unplowed and you have to grab that shovel soon, here are some tips from the American Heart Association that will help keep you from going to the hospital:
                • Eat a light meal before you shovel. Eating too much can put extra weight on your heart.
                • Use a smaller shovel, or buy a snow thrower. Lifting heavy amounts of snow can be more hazardous than lifting small amounts for twice as long. Your blood pressure won't spike as much if you take on half the lifting load each time.
                • Take breaks often. And if you're going to sit in your car to warm up, make sure the tailpipe is cleared of snow. A blocked tailpipe can send carbon monoxide back into the car, poisoning anyone inside.
                • Don't drink alcohol before or after you shovel snow. It can trick you into thinking you're not as cold – or straining as hard – as you really are.
                • Know when something is wrong, and stop shoveling. Chest discomfort, shortness of breath or discomfort in your arms, back, neck, jaw or stomach could be signs of a heart attack, and you should see a doctor immediately.

https://weather.com/safety/winter/ne...snow-shoveling
                Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 31, 2018, 15:50. Reason: [Edit: Oops; missed Rah's previous link]
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

See you next year
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                  X