Cell phones are giving children brain damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phones are giving children brain damage

New study has come out saying that cell phones are damaging children's brains, giving them various mental illness. Why is this study just now coming out? Tech companies are buying politicians on both sides. Are they the new big tobacco?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Hmmm, I thought the possibility of cell phone use causing cancer or somesuch (I forgot the details - in any case 'twas "something bad") is in the media for ages.....I never looked how serious those issues were. As long it does not make us zombies...
    Blah

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
        Hmmm, I thought the possibility of cell phone use causing cancer or somesuch (I forgot the details - in any case 'twas "something bad") is in the media for ages.....I never looked how serious those issues were.

Landmark study shows screen time is impacting kids' brain development

Posted: 6:26 PM, Dec 10, 2018
        Updated: 10:02 PM, Dec 10, 2018

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — A new study takes a closer look at the impact the amount of time children spend on cell phones, computers and TV is having on their brains.

“What they're finding, or what they're reporting, is that more screen time, in fact a lot of screen time, around 7 hours a day is associated with changes in the brain and changes in cognition,” said Rachel Barr, a developmental psychologist.

Dr. Barr studies the impact TVs, computers and cell phones can have on young children.

"They do get addicted, to the point that they don't even want to come downstairs and eat breakfast," one parent said.

Kids between the ages of 8 and 12 spend generally six hours a day, while teens are spending nearly nine hours. Researchers found kids who spend more than two hours of daily screen time score lower on thinking and language tests.

While Dr. Barr agrees too much time can have negative impacts, she points out what children watch on their devices matter.

“Exposure to education programming in younger children is associated with better outcomes and especially for children who are growing up in low resourced communities,” Dr. Barr said.

Parents can help curb screen time by setting time limits and ground rules, like keeping screens out of the bedroom, which can make it easier for children to fall and stay asleep.

“Setting up this family media plan, being mindful of your own media use and your child's media use, even though you're being bombarded by all of these changes in media yourself,” Dr. Barr said.

Last edited by Kidlicious; December 11, 2018, 10:17.

Comment

"They do get addicted, to the point that they don't even want to come downstairs and eat breakfast," one parent said.
          Oh that's what it is. I thought this was more about the so-called "E-Smog" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile...ion_and_health
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post

Oh that's what it is. I thought this was more about the so-called "E-Smog" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile...ion_and_health
            Well the phones are restructuring their brains. But you have to look at the study.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              New study has come out saying that cell phones are damaging children's brains, giving them various mental illness. Why is this study just now coming out? Tech companies are buying politicians on both sides. Are they the new big tobacco?
              Typical... Your headline "Cell phones are giving children brain damage" is totally misleading.
              The story is about ALL SCREEN TIME, including TV's and computers and not just cell phones
              So as usual, you cherry pick what you want out of a story and then just make up a headline
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, kids looking at their phones while crossing the street can cause brain damage.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am sure anyone looking at Kid’’s profile on Tinder would also get brain damage.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post

Typical... Your headline "Cell phones are giving children brain damage" is totally misleading.
                    The story is about ALL SCREEN TIME, including TV's and computers and not just cell phones
                    So as usual, you cherry pick what you want out of a story and then just make up a headline
                    So you're saying that that article says that phones give children brain damage, but I cheryl picked that?

Comment

• pchang
                      pchang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes because the same studies came out about TVs and computers when they first became popular too.

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

So you're saying that that article says that phones give children brain damage, but I cheryl picked that?
                    NO...
                    Reality = Landmark study shows screen time is impacting kids' brain development
                    Kidiot = Cell phones are giving children brain damage
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post

Right
                      What the piece says= Landmark study shows screen time is impacting kids' brain development
                      Kidicious (helping you be polite) = Cell phones are giving children brain damage
                      Reality = Children are getting brain damage from looking at cell phones but I turn away because I like cell phones and am heavily invested in Big Tech.
                      Ftfy

Comment

I am wondering if Kidicious watched too much TV as a kid.

Comment

Typical Kidiot... I posted what he actually said, Kidiot just makes stuff up yet again...
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

I knew something had to be screwing with Kids brains ...

Comment

Working...
                            X