Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you take part in philanthropic activities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you take part in philanthropic activities?

I have *some* time on my hands and I think that sitting around drinking wine and cooking is not "giving back" to society

Not that I have any particular itch to give back to society. Albeit society has been generally good to me and I'm thankful. I wouldn't want something so pixie as rubbing the underbelly of careta-careta sea turtles or some such.

Comment

Then again the real purpose of any philantropic activity is to get a chick. I already have one so that kind of defeats the purpose.

Comment

No. Good is dumb.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Broken_Erika
          Broken_Erika commented
          Editing a comment
          That is why evil shall always Triumph!

Yes. Why don't you try volunteering to feed the poor or something. You could still be drinking wine and cooking. But, you would be doing it for other people as well.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

1) Volunteered to help homeless youth, especially LGBT youth.

2) I don't vote republican. This is the gift that keeps giving to society as a whole.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I just selflessly approved Gian’s post.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghey.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	9361090

Comment

• Giancarlo
                Giancarlo commented
                Editing a comment
                F*k off. You are just another loser troll.

I have given to "Doctors Without Borders", "Amnesty International" and "ADRA". I also have given to whatever church I am attending. I have given 1000+ USD to all of these at various times (there are a few other organizations who I have given less too, including other churches).

I have done a little political giving, most noticeably to Bernie in 2016.

I give a little to random people who ask me for money (I did not do so when I lived in Europe).

I have generally given less than I would like and am thinking again about doing political giving this year.

I have volunteered to help at various churches I have attended (but not that frequently). I have also volunteered at with a Buddhist organization (I forget the name, my friend was involved). These often related to supporting an effort to feed people.

My intention is to give roughly 10% of my net income. I generally am closer to 2-5%.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

1. My daughter, wife, and I were the "Jr Volunteer of the year", "Individual volunteer of the year" (wife), and "family volunteer of the year" for the San Antonio Food Bank.

2. My wife was head of the President's Volunteer Service Awards for my daughter's school for 4 years, and she & I organized thrice-yearly "cards for the troops" activities with the kids.

3. I am President of my Homeowner's Association.

4. I am precinct chair for the Democratic Party for my precinct. #VoteBeto

5. Give money to the homeless, bring them food as well.

6. My daughter restarted the "St Francis" society at her school which performs volunteer and fund-raising activities on behalf of animals. Currently she has 40 members working with her.

6. Bunch of political activities, from hosting fund-raising dinners to block-walking to calling for various candidates.

7. Host a "National Night Out" party at my house where we get bouncy houses, games, and other activities for the kids... about 200-400 attend.

Comment

• Giancarlo
                  Giancarlo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great post! You have a lot of great causes going on. And yes go Beto!

Originally posted by Keke View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	ghey.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	9361090
                What's your issue?
                Last edited by Giancarlo; September 28, 2018, 23:46. Reason: Oh never mind. Another Kidiot hit and run troll. Probably a kidiot double account.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

JohnT, Berete Eder and Giancarlo? Time warp?

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

No... more charity work. This place needs clicks!

Comment

And Kid needs a sitter...

Comment

Kid needs a cranial colonic.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                        X