Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is China destined to become an AI superpower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is China destined to become an AI superpower?

I read that a while ago, with the argument that AI development depends on big data being available (and lots of it). Which is easier to get in authoritarian countries that have less regard for privacy/individual freedoms/stuff.

I don't remember where I read it, so no linky. Maybe I just dreamt it, call me silly if ya wish.

Can democracies allow an AI gap???
    Blah

Big data collected in an authoritarian country would probably be so biased that it would only work in an authoritarian country.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The US seems to have no qualms about gathering data. I for one welcome our AI overlords and hope they send the kill bots to my neighborhood last.

Comment

• JohnT
        JohnT commented
        Editing a comment
        Shouldn't that be "Kilobots"?

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night! Please be sure to tip the lovely waitresses!

I wonder what kind of AI would be made if fed data from the Apolyton OT forums......
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Making China Great Again!
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
          I wonder what kind of AI would be made if fed data from the Apolyton OT forums......
          The ImLeavingForever bot, which is constantly leaving forever as it posts one last death threat against humanity in infinitely recursive broken scroll tags

Comment

So you’re saying Sava is an AI.....
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
              me2

Comment

China is destined to be a superpower in anything that relies upon people power. This is purely because hey have the most people.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The downside for China, and the Chinese, and everyone else ... is that AI will make people, and the organizations they form, obsolete.

Comment

I think as long Trump is in office we're safe, since he can just slap tariffs on any form of intelligence.

Blah

Comment

Make American Geniuses Again!

Comment

AI

Comment

Working...
                        X