No announcement yet.

Is a hot dog + bun... is it a sandwich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a hot dog + bun... is it a sandwich?

One of the burning questions of our day. Answer, dammit!

Oh, poll is public so I know who to shun when in polite society.
    Yes!
    50.00%
    No!
    50.00%

The answer is... no, because we don't want a hot dog to be a sandwich. But there is a family resemblance.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Bunwich?
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

'Wich hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          'Wich hunt!
          Definite thread winner.

Of course it's not a sandwich, it's a hot dog.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A hot dog is a hot dog... a sandwich is a sandwich
            Case closed
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The 'meat' part is a wiener. A wiener in a bun is a hot dog..
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I will stick to a polish sandwich lol.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

It is in the sandwhich family.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Dinner sez it's a sandwich. He, obviously, is a person of great refinement and knowledge.

Evolutionarily speaking, it's a descendent of Sandwich Awesomous, on the same taxonomical tree. While a human isn't an ape, we're both primates. Same thing for hot dogs and, for example, a PBJ. Both are sandwiches despite certain, minor, differences.

Next thing we know y'all will deny that an Egg McMuffin isn't a sandwich. Or a croissan'wich from Burger King. Along that path lies madness and set theory confusion.

Comment

The important question is whether sandwiches are defined intensionally or extensionally. If the former, then there are necessary and sufficient conditions for ascribing sandwichness to an object. This is where you run into problems. Must have some product between two slices of bread--ah, but what about an open-faced sandwich or whatever? Whenever you try to pin down the essential characteristics sandwichosity, you run into tricky edge cases.

So you define sandwiches extensionally instead. This is the "know it when you see it" definition. The set of all objects identified as sandwiches tells you what a sandwich is. This seems unsatisfying, but it's also often the best you can do. Ideal, Platonic sandwiches don't exist in the real world; the real world is messy. If you want neat and orderly definitions, be a mathematician and take comfort in knowing that mathematics somehow lets you predict what's going to happen in the real world, despite its messiness.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

JohnT
                        Blah

Comment

Yes, taxonomy is a fascinating subject. Don't know if it's *eye-poppingly* fascinating, BeBro, but fascinating nonetheless.

Comment

I will grant that a hotdog is "technically" a sandwich. Also, an eggplant is "technically" a fruit. There many things that are "technically" correct, but wrong none the less.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                              Uncle Sparky commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Donald Trump is "technically" commander and chief of the US armed forces...

My three favorite hot dogs are the Tijuana dog, the Dodger Dog, and the Sonoran dog
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                            X