Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religiosity compared ... Western European vs. US

I found an article about some interesting new research:

US atheists are more religious than Western European (WE) christians.
    Or taken the oither way round ... WE christians are more secular than US atheists

Of US atheists/agnostics (well, all those who state their religion as "non" on questionnaires) 27% say that they believe in god with absolute certainty.
    Of WE christians, only 23% believe this

Here other results of the poll:

The article also states that in the USA you encounter religiosity at every corner and that there even are atheist churches

In WE on the other hand, while there is less traditional religiosity, there seems to be more spirituality, as an intermediate state between religiosity and actual atheism,
    where "believers" do away with certain aspects of religions, but keep others.
    For example, most WEs still believe in concepts like the "soul", but without the baggage of the christian religious system around it.

This intermediate stage seems to also be widespread in the US with 27% identifying as spiritual ... some of them believing in a soul and some even in a personal god to which they pray.

Source:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...stians/560936/

Seems to be quite right, from my own experience in germany.
    In germany the catholics are seen as more religious than the evangelicals (i.e. totally contrary to the USA), but actually, with the exception of small villages in Bavaria, or small evangelical independent parishes, there seems to be not the same level of religiosity as in the USA.
    (to elaborate more on this: Most of the evangelical churches in germany are organized into a large umbrella association, the EKD (Evangelische Kirche Deutschland (Evangelical church of germany) ... but there are several small parishes who aren't associated with it ... they are called independent churches (Freikirchen).

I know noone, neither catholic or evangelical, who, for example, would adhere to any rules towards contraception (despite the catholic church officially restricting the allowed contraception methods to KJnauss-Ogino and abstinence) or virginity before marriage.
    Even my mother, who is the religious person in the family, restricts her religiosity to watching (or hearing) service in radio or on TV, every sunday ... and sometimes talking about the sermons the pastors held (sermons usually are less bible thumping and more, the pastor talking about every day things and how he thinks they relate to religiosity)

Guess, a lot of this secularism has to do with the fact that in germany we have compulsory school attendance (with state controlles quality management) where it also is compulsory to have sexual education (that included education about contraception and male and female anatomy ... and never ever is abstinence only education) ... and homeschooling is allowed only as a very rare exception (for example for kids who cannot leave home for medical reasons), as well as private schools (they exist, but only a tiny minority of school children visits one
    Also, we have church taxes (that are collected, like normal taxes, via the state tax office and then distributed to the churches), taking a lot of pressure out of the churches, to get lots of donations from people via scaring them with fire and brimstone rhetorics, or appeasing them by inventing things like the prosperity gospel

I for my part have been raised as protestant (of one of the denominations in the EKD), been confirmed and so on, but my faith changed a lot between my 15th and 30ths year of life. From a believer in the christian religion to someone who identifies more as spiritual (as depicted in the article) ... a little bit leaning to Unitarian Universalism. Part of this surely can be attributed to hearing about the US fundamentalists and their accusation (towards more lenient christians, to be cherry picking the bible) ... and as a result reading more of the uncomfortable parts of the bible, that usually don't get read in service (like god ordering (or commiting) mass murder, rules regarding raped women and so on) and judging these parts (and therefore also god himself) with nowadays moral standards.

The last time I was at a service must have been around 1.5 decades ago, at a memorial service for my grandfather and all the other people who died at his parish during the same year that he died
    The last time that I was at a church at all must have been around 5 years ago, for an unplugged concert of the german medieval/pagan rock band Faun

So, what are your experiences with religion in the society of your country and what do you identify as
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; June 1, 2018, 04:31.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

I'm a Protestant, Methodist. They're very accepting.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Me thinks there is a problem with definitions.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

So, what are your experiences with religion in the society of your country and what do you identify as
        Born Protestant but since my parents were barely cultural christians it didn't stick.

I grew up, got some education, and stopped believing the fairy tales at an early age.

Christian religion in this country is selling the property to pay the lawsuits these days.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You cannot be an atheist and believe in a god.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

America is a fundy country. It is hard to be a public atheist.

Comment

In my little sphere of educated liberals, I encounter very few ardently religious people. I think the most commons opinions I see are (a) there are no gods and (b) maybe there's something up there but it's not really the focus of my life. I also know pagans, Jews, and wackier things. But I know that outside of my bubble, the US is strongly Christian. My second girlfriend was a super religious creationist (until she became a witch). Everybody in public office at least pays lip service to god and faith and all that.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Religion is s personal/private matter here. Not something you wear on your sleeve.

US style public displays of faith are uncommon except among a very small fringe.

My city council is currently drafting a bylaw to deal with annoying "street preachers". I oppose the measure (the preachers are annoying but not harmful so I fall in favour of free speech) but it looks like it will pass. They won't be allowed to harangue the "sinners" as they walk past anymore.

Council backs proposed street harassment bylaw New rules to shut down street harassment could be on the way. City politicians endorsed a staff recommendation to cre…
                Last edited by Wezil; June 1, 2018, 08:37. Reason: Added link

Comment

Lame. I enjoy being harassed by street preachers.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm an Orthodox Christian in the most culturally Protestant country in the world. My father is an agnostic, raised Unitarian (so no real change), while my mother was raised Lutheran but converted to Orthodoxy after dating a Russian guy as a teenager. Her sister converted to Catholicism when she married my Italian-American uncle. Both are devout and practicing Christians. I'm the only one of my mother's three sons who remained Orthodox; my late brother Chris was a confirmed atheist and my brother Andrew officially identifies as Buddhist in the sense that he likes things the Buddha said but probably never meditates or anything like that. His wife Kate was raised hardcore Evangeli-something, is still passionately Christian, but doesn't go to church because her church treated her terribly. Their kids are being raised Orthodox (my mother takes them to church). My wife was raised by a Catholic father and Presbyterian mother, grew up more inclined to Catholicism, and converted to Orthodoxy a bit after meeting me.

The US is ... the US. After reading the OP, I have somewhat more hope for Christianity in this country, because I don't see us turning churches into worthless vestigial appendages of the state like that anytime soon. We're going to pay a heavy price for Reaganism, and a good portion of the Nones are likely going to settle into belief systems nobody could have predicted by and by, but I think a hard core of actual believing Christians will survive once the nominals and the disillusioned drift away. Some of the Nones, or their kids, will drift back in to compensate.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      ... My second girlfriend was a super religious creationist (until she became a witch). ...
                      From christian fundamentalist to Wicca?
                      Is there a story behind this?
                      I mean, usually christian fundamentalists seem to be rather antagonistic towards Wicca, often claiming that they are Satanists (or at least deluded folk, tricked into serving Satan).
                      To turn from christian fundamentalist to wicca therefore sounds quite remarkable to me
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post

My city council is currently drafting a bylaw to deal with annoying "street preachers". ...
                        Here in germany it is the norm to have Jehovas witnesses at every corner of the inner city.
                        They don't do active preaching (guess this is forbidden), but rather hold the regular magazines they produce (like Erwachet (Awake) or Wachturm (Watch Tower)) in front of them (and only start talking when you are the one who asks them question). Aside from this they (i.e. yehovas witnesses) also sometimes try to do conversions at the house door.
                        IIRC my mother once put a couple of them to flight by not backing away from a theological discussion with them at the house door but rather delving further into it and demonstrating superior biblical knowledge .. seems like finally they felt too unprepared for it

Aside from this ýou occasionally encounter Mormons on their proselytism voyages as well as Hare Hrsna followers who want to sell you their books. Oh yes, also, occassionally stalls in the inner city from muslims who want to distribute Qurans and Falun Gong members who want to draw you into some of their courses and/or want to inform about the persecution of their group in China

Comment

From christian fundamentalist to Wicca?
                          Is there a story behind this?
                          I mean, usually christian fundamentalists seem to be rather antagonistic towards Wicca, often claiming that they are Satanists (or at least deluded folk, tricked into serving Satan).
                          To turn from christian fundamentalist to wicca therefore sounds quite remarkable to me
                          I met her when she was still in high school living with her parents. By the time we broke up she was away at college and had discovered feminism and met lots of new and interesting people. And there was lunatic me respectfully questioning everything she believed for two years. But the big thing for her was coming to the conclusion that Christianity was inherently anti-woman and wanting to find a faith that respected womanhood. I strongly argued against this, insisting that she should choose a religion because its metaphysical claims are correct, not because they're appealing. Alas.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

I met her when she was still in high school living with her parents. By the time we broke up she was away at college and had discovered feminism and met lots of new and interesting people. And there was lunatic me respectfully questioning everything she believed for two years. But the big thing for her was coming to the conclusion that Christianity was inherently anti-woman and wanting to find a faith that respected womanhood. I strongly argued against this, insisting that she should choose a religion because its metaphysical claims are correct, not because they're appealing. Alas.
                            Fascinating ... well, from a feminist standpoint it seems like she has chosen well
                            The lead singer (Jenny) and her husband and co-lead (Steve) of one of the pagan folk bands I regularly hear (and have occasionally been to concerts), Omnia, also are into Wicca, but rather for its ecological perspective, like mother Gaia, brother tree, nature spirits and so on
                            Last edited by Proteus_MST; June 1, 2018, 11:24. Reason: Actually husband, not boyfriend anymore

Comment

Here in germany it is the norm to have Jehovas witnesses at every corner of the inner city.
                              They don't do active preaching (guess this is forbidden), but rather hold the regular magazines they produce (like Erwachet (Awake) or Wachturm (Watch Tower)) in front of them (and only start talking when you are the one who asks them question). Aside from this they (i.e. yehovas witnesses) also sometimes try to do conversions at the house door.
                              My dad was shift worker who used to love when they came by during the day. It gave him someone to talk to.

IIRC my mother once put a couple of them to flight by not backing away from a theological discussion with them at the house door but rather delving further into it and demonstrating superior biblical knowledge .. seems like finally they felt too unprepared for it
                              Back in uni a roommate of mine answered the door at 10am with a joint in hand. He invited them in for a chat but they declined.

Aside from this ýou occasionally encounter Mormons on their proselytism voyages as well as Hare Hrsna followers who want to sell you their books. Oh yes, also, occassionally stalls in the inner city from muslims who want to distribute Qurans and Falun Gong members who want to draw you into some of their courses and/or want to inform about the persecution of their group in China
                              Our street preachers are truly offensive. Pretty much every woman passerby is called a name of some sort ("harlot" is a favourite). If they stood quietly and distributed materials no one would care.

Comment

Working...
                              X