Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The people demand to know why this has not been settled yet?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The people demand to know why this has not been settled yet?!?!

A newly discovered asteroid’s unusual orbit supports the idea that a massive planet lurks in the far reaches of the solar system

An enormous planet containing 10 times the mass of the Earth could explain the unusual orbit of a newly discovered asteroid. If found, the giant world would represent the first discovery of a planet in our solar system since Pluto in 1930, and before that Neptune in 1846. (Pluto was subsequently downgraded from planet to “dwarf planet” in 2006.)

The asteroid in question is called 2015 BP519. It was discovered three years ago at fifty-five times the Earth’s distance to the sun. Since that time, a group of astronomers led by Juliette Becker of the University of Michigan have been tracking it.

They now conclude the space rock is following a highly unusual orbit that is most easily explained if the gravity of a large – as yet unseen – planet has pulled it into place.

(snip)
    full: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...beyond-neptune

What I'm wondering though is this: if there is another planet, and it's rather ginormous one indeed, then why haven't we already found it? I mean, afaik we even found planets far, far away...so what is the difficulty here?

There's some hints at the end of the article that we'd need to find some more "unusual" asteroids like the one mentioned inda quote above, but don't we have other means to locate planets in our own system?

(I'm semi-outraged -- imagine space aliens have a staging ground for an invasion already in our system and we have no idea 'bout it No, but it was a serious question)

Blah

Space is big and this hypothetical planet is very far away. It would be very dim and small and we don't really know where to look for it except... somewhere in the plane of the solar system. (The evidence points toward rough orbital parameters but not at all where it might be at this very moment.) Additionally, because it's so far away, it would be moving very slowly across the sky, which means that even if a telescope spots it, differentiating it from another background star takes time and patience and luck.

We can spot exoplanets (in almost all cases) only because they perturb observations of their parent star in some way. Can't do the same with this guy.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

That's 'cause Planet X has a cloaking device.
      btw. I do have this movie on DVD.
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Wrong thread.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It might also be covered in black dust or soot. This would make it much harder to spot.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
            The sexy girl... I would due that ***** like the whore she was...
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It is Yuggoth
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The girl is Yuggoth?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  The girl is Yuggoth?
                  Nope, the undiscovered planet ... home of the Mi-Go
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    Space is big and this hypothetical planet is very far away. It would be very dim and small and we don't really know where to look for it except... somewhere in the plane of the solar system. (The evidence points toward rough orbital parameters but not at all where it might be at this very moment.) Additionally, because it's so far away, it would be moving very slowly across the sky, which means that even if a telescope spots it, differentiating it from another background star takes time and patience and luck.

We can spot exoplanets (in almost all cases) only because they perturb observations of their parent star in some way. Can't do the same with this guy.
                    It's a trap!

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post

(...)
                      Is it....visible???

Blah

Comment

Working...
                      X