Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I look forward to my drone delivered pizza.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look forward to my drone delivered pizza.

The futuristic possibilities associated with autonomous, commercial drone activity — think food and package delivery, medical supply transport or enhanced border security — will be realized in San Diego, and soon.

San Diego just got cleared for the first in the nation testing of autonomous drone delivery by commercial organizations. Can drone delivered take out food and Amazon packages be far behind?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Do you have to tip your drone?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Aeson
      Aeson commented
      Editing a comment
      Before flying a drone you should spin around with it and then flip it on it's side and spin around with it again. This is to make sure the GPS is oriented, and to make drone pilots look stupid.

Might have to deal with a small horde of pigeons and/or seagulls on arrival. So might be an idea to have a BB-gun handy.
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

do they have Boneless Pizza in San Diego
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Their drones aren't capable of lifting a 48 inch pizza!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          Do you have to tip your drone?
          Daddy wants his pizza and he doesn't want to have to tip a fleshling. Progress!

Comment

except for a few select areas I d not see it hapening

Comment

In germany (and several other european countries) we have the first robot delivered Pizzas in some cities:
              European cities to experience autonomous Domino’s pizza delivery using Starship Robots LONDON, MARCH 29, 2017 Starship Technologies, the company building a fleet of autonomous robots designed to deliver goods locally, today announced the launch of pizza deliveries in co-operation with Domino’s Pizza Enterprises (Domino’s), a global leader in the pizza industry. Domino’s is running the

But it isn't via air, but rather with a wheeled robot that delivers in a range of just a few 100 meters around the pizza shop.
              And it actually needs more workforce than a simple delivey boy ... aside from the robot there are operators in some control center in eastern europe, which are able to remote control each robot if need arises.
              And each robot is accompanied by a human guardian, which walks several steps behind it and is there in order to solve "situations" (like rowdies toppling the robot and the like)

But aside from thsi they are totally autonomous and deliver their goods to the clients houses front door, where the client is informed via Handy and also gets the code to unlock the storage

Seems like they operate in the USA as well:
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

That is cool but ground rover will only work in nice low crime areas. I can think of many 3rd world infested areas where that will not work in America. This why flying drones are needed.

People from high crime, low respect for the law parts of the world often bring their, shall we say cultural outlook, with them to their new home. It is a problem.
                Last edited by Dinner; May 12, 2018, 02:06.

Comment

This is a classic Oerdin-Thradeâ„¢ and reminds me of when I was in my early 30's browsing Poly
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Hey, man, try that rover **** in Somali town and tell me how fast that **** gets kicked over, broken into, and stolen. The truth might hurt but it is still the damn truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      Hey, man, try that rover **** in Somali town and tell me how fast that **** gets kicked over, broken into, and stolen. The truth might hurt but it is still the damn truth.
                      Well, jep, as I mentioned, even here in germany the robot gets a human "companion" that follows it within a short distance in order to resolve situations (I don't know if every Starhip robot has such a human companion or if this was specifically hired by the shop that employs the robot, however).

A german journalist tested it out by getting herself hired as such a companion, for one week:
                      Bald sollen Maschinen selbstständig Päckchen in deutschen Städten ausliefern. Bis jetzt läuft immer ein Mensch als Begleiter hinter dem Roboter her. Unsere Autorin hat das ausprobiert.

While 95% of the time everything ran uneventful (and her only job was, to chat with pedestrians about it, or to bring the deliveries into the house, if the clients were too lazy to come out and fetch them out of the robot for themselves) there was one situation where some rowdy toppled the robot while she was not watching and she had to upright the robot again, afterwards (it wasn't damaged by this event, however ... seems like they are sturdy little buggers )
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Just give the robot some self-defence measures when going through shady areas. Nothing fancy, just a Phalanx CIWS 30mm chaingun and a tomahawk missile launcher.
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                          Their drones aren't capable of lifting a 48 inch pizza!
                          Then maybe they should get some surplus MQ-8C Fire scouts, so you can have several 48" inch pizzas and a few kegs of beer delivered in one trip!
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northr...-8C_Fire_Scout

Comment

I would be down that. Say, an auto cannon for self defense... No one would mess with it twice. :b

Comment

Working...
                            X