Blockbuster braincrap ili nyet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockbuster braincrap ili nyet?

Just watched this movie from 1995 where Keanu Reeves' character has to carry a whole 320 GB of data in an implant attached to his head.

I can imagine someone saying that this is a crappy and needless movie par excellence, with cartoonish characters, bad acting and lots of over-the-top violence to crown it all. It's got 13% from reviewers at rottentomatoes.com and 5.6 on IMDB.

OTOH, I'm not sure if it would be wise to get more seriously upset over movie violence like that of this one, and at least the sci-fi plot is somewhat imaginative (it's based on a short story by William Gibson). The film obviously doesn't aim at being more than a bit of light entertainment.

Some of the music/sound FX reminded me a bit of the early works of Karlheinz Stockhausen.

I bet the guy from 48.43 - 49.40 and 52.10 - 52.57 onwards is some poster from this forum.

According to Wikipedia, the movie's production costs were $26 million and it brought in $19 million in the US and $52 million globally.

*ili nyet (или нет) = "or not" in Russian.
    Last edited by Meticulous Man; March 21, 2018, 18:58.

Johnnie Mnemonic. This movie was either the inspiration for or was the result of the RPG game Shadowrun.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by ZEE View Post
      Johnnie Mnemonic. This movie was either the inspiration for or was the result of the RPG game Shadowrun.
      Perhaps both ...
      the Neuromancer Universe of William Gibson (which includes Gibsons short story Johnny Mnemonic) clearly was the inspiration for Shadowrun.
      On the other hand, Shadowrun might have been the inspiration to make the movie Johnny Mnemonic
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

SSD butt implant?
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by ZEE View Post
          As Shadowrun was around in the late 1980's the movie was inspired by the game and not the other way around.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
          X