• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is philosophy useful?

Curious what others think and why.
    Philosophy has never been useful.
    0%
    Philosophy was useful in the past but is no longer.
    10.00%
    Philosophy is useful now but wasn't in the past.
    0%
    Philosophy always was and still is useful.
    60.00%
    What is it like to be a banana?
    30.00%
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

The question is not whether or not philosophy is useful. The question is how useful philosophy is.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Well then answer that question.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sure it still is useful.
        Philosophy has lots of fundamental questions that cannot be answered by the exact sciences and many of them have to be answered by everyone for him/herself (like "The meaning of Life", "The existence of a divine entity" and so on).
        I'd say it is helpful for everyones peronal growth, to think about these questions (and find his/her own answers)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Philosophy is about as useful as a flat head screw driver. It is rarely the exact tool you need, but it is helpful in a lot of situations.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Philosophical Bananas!
            (I have nothing meaningful to contribute but i felt like posting anyway)
            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
              Sure it still is useful.
              Philosophy has lots of fundamental questions that cannot be answered by the exact sciences and many of them have to be answered by everyone for him/herself (like "The meaning of Life", "The existence of a divine entity" and so on).
              I'd say it is helpful for everyones peronal growth, to think about these questions (and find his/her own answers)
              I think many would say that philosophy asks a lot of questions but never ends up answering them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

I think many would say that philosophy asks a lot of questions but never ends up answering them.
                Yep, but reading about what others think of said questions, can help your own thought processes regarding those questions.

Of course people looking for ready to serve answers (who may be too lazy to think about them for themselves), may better look somewwhere else than at philosophy.
                Maybe those people better are served with looking at the major organized religions, which at least claim to have the answers formany of those fundamental questions (whether or not the answerrs are the "correct" ones, is an entirely other thing, of course, and may depenbd on the individual POV )
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

A lot of the principles we have enshrined in modern constitutions are derived from philostuff of the age of enlightenment. Rather useful IMO

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
                    Philosophical Bananas!
                    (I have nothing meaningful to contribute but i felt like posting anyway)
                    A girl after my own heart.
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I'm in the "the sciences we spun off from philosophy are useful, the remaining core is like an apple's" camp.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

My philosophy is that if philosophy wasn’t useful the philosophy that philosophy wasn’t useful would be useful and thus philosophy must be useful. No idea what it’s useful for though.

Comment

Philosophical poll.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I voted tgat it was and is useful but honestly don't think it was ever very useful.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A sympathy vote?
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X