What crazy things do you believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What crazy things do you believe?

We're all a little quirky here; why else would we keep coming to this dying site? But hopefully we also have the self-awareness to recognize said quirkiness. In that spirit, what beliefs do you have about the world that you understand most others don't share for what might be good reasons?

I have a bunch, but there's one in particular I was thinking of when I decided to make this thread:

Spoiler:
    panpsychism. I think it's quite possible (maybe even necessary) that every object in the universe has some measure of awareness and that our variety of sentience is just a scaled/souped up version.

(Spoiler tags because I don't actually want the thread to be about that one thing, but obviously it's fine if people do end up discussing it.)
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

While I don't believe that angels are spiritual beings, I do believe in angels.

I guess a different way of putting this is I believe that extraterrestrial have visited earth.

On the other hand, I am highly skeptical of any claims (either from the religious or from the non-religious) of interactions with extraterrestrials or angels or anything of the nature. So I believe in them, and am intrigued by some stories/etc, but am also strongly skeptical about most every case.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm Enki. But I am not. This form was raised by Enlil (Beelzebub) but I had to figure it out myself. I live in The Abzu. Ishtar showed me how to defeat gaslighters and "love." This life I will remember forevermore as "The Garbage Life." If you are not my ally you are my enemy. I have no allies.

May Enlil destroy you all. Pray he does not tell ME to do it. I'm worse.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I don't believe panpsychism is necessarily crazy to believe in.

Comment

I have a lot that most others don't share, but can't really think of any that would be "for good reason".

Comment

I believe that there are huge currents flowing up and down the plasma that surrounds the arms of this galaxy. I believe that these currents exert electromagnetic forces powerful enough to keep the galactic arms together as they circle the galaxy. I believe this means we don’t need dark matter to explain the orbits of stars in the galaxy.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The primary evidence for Dark Matter isn't due to observations of our own galaxy. Or even of only spiral galaxies.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Also galactic arms aren't structures; they're crests of waves.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  I don't believe panpsychism is necessarily crazy to believe in.
                  Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  I have a lot that most others don't share, but can't really think of any that would be "for good reason".
                  So the sense of "crazy" I'm using here is mostly lifted from the philosopher Eric Schwitzgebel, who has only semi-jokingly built up a model he calls/called crazyism. See here for example. For him, a view is crazy if "it is contrary to common sense and we are not epistemically compelled to believe it."

Comment

Saying reality would necessarily be weirder than we think is making a sweeping claim about the unknown, and perhaps even more problematic is that crazyism could even be “common sense” in cases.

For me belief is accepting I’m not sure why or how, but X seems to achieve my purpose best. So a silent prayer to a higher power that gives me a calm and peaceful feeling in a stressful situation is AFAIK the best course of action for me regardless of whether there is a higher power or not. Talking to someone who may not be there is crazy, but it’s still useful to me. The same action by someone else may be useless or even harmful to them.

Comment

I believe that a silent (or quiet) majority of humanity believe in cooperating for the greater good.

Comment

I believe that if you take "Bubble Gum" and bake it at 240 degrees for 30 minutes, you can then add it to some oil and take an oral dose.

1g @ $30

Does anyone want to have a civ lan party at my house? Just let me know. I can PM phone number.

Comment

At Seguin's you can buy Roses and Tulips as well. They had some new concepts ready. Looks good.

I hear they might be into some QA

Comment

I believe that some day AAHZ will make a good post. I know, it is crazy but I believe it.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

not only do I believe 'ancient astronauts' may be real, I believe there is a flow to the universe... I dont wanna call it karma but it seems to me when I get mad the situation doesn't improve

Comment

Working...
                              X