Don't Panic - Falcon Heavy Testflight >=2/3 successful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    I guess the manichin "driving" tge car won't last much more than a year. Radiation and space dust are going to do him in.
    Well, we'll never find out.
    The battery powering his camera went out of power after 12 hours.
    Elon Musk linked his last pic in a Tweet:

According to this obital simulator:
    http://orbitsimulator.com/gravitySim...bitViewer.html
    (if Starman isn't imported yet, import object -143205)

It seems like the closest approach to earth (i.e. where Starman is around his Perihelion and the position of earth is roughly at he same place) will be in around 3 years (i.e. in February 2021).
    And his distance from earth at this time will be more than 50% the distance between Venus and Earth during heir closest approaches ... surely too far for even larger earthbound telescopes to make out tiny details (like the manichin).

And it seems like he will never come this close to earth again in th foreseeable future (meaning the time that I looked, = till 2040)
    (although the orbital simulation surely is just a rough estimate, assuming a stable orbit and not taking into account any changes to Starmans orbit caused by him coming into proximity of Mars)
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; February 10, 2018, 00:23.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

There is apparently going to be a very close approach (~1.6 times farther than the moon) in 2073 which, if it were bigger, would kinda maybe technically make it a "potentially hazardous asteroid."
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well if we can't clutter it up with debris for marketing/ego massage purposes, what good is space anyway?

Comment

Working...
        X