Don't Panic - Falcon Heavy Testflight >=2/3 successful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Panic - Falcon Heavy Testflight >=2/3 successful

Last minute of countdown starts around 29:00 .... Boosters land shortly after T+7:30
    Core stage unfortunately didn't make it

Stage 2 with Starman now has an Apoapsis of 7 Mm and will make the final burn to escape velocity in ~5 hours
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Watched this live. The two side boosters landing in sync was beautiful.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

WHO CARES?!?!
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Anyone with an interest in space(-flight) or engineering I would say.

Especially boosters landing on their own power is something that never was there before.
        And, as Lori already mentioned, he sight of the 2 boosters landing synchronously is just beautiful

They also put a nice hommage to Douglas Adams into the Tela
        Last edited by Proteus_MST; February 7, 2018, 06:39.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Simultaneous landings looked cool.

However, I'm concerned the car thingie will drift into deep space and alert the Borg before we're ready to fight back
          Blah

Comment

If there was ever a shot that looked photo shopped, it was the car in space. I can see it igniting a whole new wave of Moon landing deniers.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
              Simultaneous landings looked cool.

However, I'm concerned the car thingie will drift into deep space and alert the Borg before we're ready to fight back
              Dn't worry ... the Falcon Heavy wasn't powerful enough to reach escape velocity out of the solar system.
              The succesful third burn "just" was powerful enough to raise the Apoapsi towards the Asteroid belt (so that the Tesla now will orbit sun in an elliptical orbit, with the Apoapsis somewhere below the orbit of Cres and the Periapsis somewhere aroun the orbit of earth)

If the Klingons (or other interstellar invaders) are close enough to dicover the Tesla, they are also close enough to receive radio signals from earth (and have been for quite some time) ... and therefore already know that there is a species of somewhat tehcnologically developed apes on Sols 3rd planet, that is ripe for conquest/subjugation

Comment

Flat earthers will not like this. That was something to watch. When is the second firing to send to mars? difficult to find updates.

oh, and... there's the AHHHZZ I remember. stupid azz post.

Comment

and that launch was more like 9/10 successful. IF they can fire the engine again and send to planned orbit.

that car is not going to last a million year either. not even a 100 years. space is a hard place. maybe the frame and some glass that does not bust. the rest of the car is all carbon bonds. the leather seats even the body. the sun is going to slice that puppy up.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Vlad View Post
                    Flat earthers will not like this. That was something to watch. When is the second firing to send to mars? difficult to find updates.

oh, and... there's the AHHHZZ I remember. stupid azz post.
                    Actually the third burn ... and it already has happened, see my link to Elon Musks tweet in my previous posting.

The third burn even was "more successful" than planned. The remaining fuel in the 2nd stage had enough dV to not only raise the Aphelion to Mars, but even to just below he orbit of Ceres, so that it now has an elliptical orbit with Perihelion ~0.99 AU and an Aphelion of 2.6 AU

Comment

well look at that, pretty cool. this should make space exploration something exciting in the next few years to come. waiting now for BFR.

Comment

Booster landing from another view - that is a heavy deceleration

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That is just so cool
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rockets are a technological dead end.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I guess the manichin "driving" tge car won't last much more than a year. Radiation and space dust are going to do him in.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X