Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limits of presidential immunity?

As the presidential immunity is on topic once again
    (this time regarding Trumps "Fake News Award" ... while Trump is immune, the WH staffers aren't and could be indicted for violating several paragraphs if they take part in the fake news awards:

I wondered:
    How far would prresidential immunity go?

Lets assume, Trump would actually shoot someone on the street (as he announced in one rrally of his election campaign) and would be caught in the act.

Would his immunity as siting president protect him from prosecution, till the end of his term?

And:
    Lets assume the answer is: "Yes"
    and it comes to an Impeachment process. And thiss Impeachment process fails, because too many GOP senators / congressmen decide to "support" Trump (and vote against impeachment) ... will said congressmen and senators (who voted against impeachment) be guilty of "obstruction of justice" or even "accomplices in crime"?
    (and will it be possible to prosecute them for it, or will they, as well, have immunity until they are impeached or their term ends)?
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

As commander in chief he could say he declared war on this guy...

Nah, srsly I dunno about the legal details...
    Blah

Comment

The President can be impeached for just about anything, so the limit in regards to Federal crimes is generally how much your party wants you around and how much of congress they control. Pardons can't be issued for State crimes though. So if Trump was found guilty of racketeering in NY for instance, he couldn't pardon himself. But he might be able to pardon himself for treason which is a Federal crime. Mike Pence (after becoming the President) could definitely pardon him for treason.

In regards to shooting someone ... it is generally a State crime. It might be a Federal crime under some circumstances. So if Trump kidnapped Bernie Sanders and shot him on 5th Avenue, he might be able to pardon himself for at least the Federal portion of the crime:

https://www.wklaw.com/10-ways-murder...federal-crime/

Comment

Working...
      X