Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Growth

I never knew 'bout this:

A Japanese astronaut who is living on the International Space Station says he has grown 9cm (3.5in) since arriving there just over three weeks ago.

Norishige Kanai wrote on social media he was worried he would not fit into the seat of the Russian Soyuz vehicle that is due to bring him home in June.

Astronauts grow an average of between two and five centimetres in space.

This is because of the absence of gravity which allows the vertebrae in their spines to spread apart.
    Unfortunately:

Astronauts can grow while in space and return to a normal height when they go back to Earth.

Blah

Gravity is our eternal master, breaking our backs and keeping us on the ground. We must rebel!
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Wasn't this one of the reasons for the hanging upside down craze last century?
      Short people thought it would make them taller.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I wonder if decompressing the spine has any medical benefits?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          I wonder if decompressing the spine has any medical benefits?
          It does if you have existing back problems. Unfortunately, in space, we also experience bone loss and returning to a normal gravity field causes more complications and overall makes us worse off than if we never went into space at all.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Actually the same thing AFAIK happens to you during the night (at least if you sleep lying down and not standing ) ... i.e. due to the gravity vector not pressing on your spine, the disci intervertebrales relax and when you awake in the morning, you are a bit longer than at the end of the day
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

More evidence that getting out of bed is a mistake.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

AAHZ has given up on his body, basic maintenance but no moar. I have focused now 100% on the Qi.

Helps me get out of bed every day.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I had one of those tilting devices, it helped alleviate pressure on my damaged discs... I cant use it because of acid reflux Wow, 9 cm is like almost 4 inches.

Maybe thats why our 'gods' were giants, they came from a planet with more gravity and get taller here.

Comment

Apparently it was all fake news.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1EZ09G

Or a cover up. There was probably some freak space radiation accident and now he's one of the Fantastic Four.

Comment

Typical Japanese, mistaking 2 cm for 9 cm.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hm, 2 cm is better than nothing
                        Blah

Comment

Not if it shrinks soon afterwards.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well it is cold in space.

Comment

It always shrinks soon afterwards. ... What were we discussing?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X