Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it logistically possible to conquer the Galaxy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it logistically possible to conquer the Galaxy?

A common theme in many B science fiction movies. Star Wars just one example, but many books have evil empires that are trying to accomplish it or have and are being resisted.

The enormity of the Galaxy would seem to make it unlikely. Even with warp drives or teleportation. (without either of these there isn't really any discussion because it would be impossible)

Even the English in it's heyday couldn't subjugate that much of a single planet.?

The amount of resources to handle the galaxy would be overwhelming. Especially by that puny force they showed in Star Wars.

Do you think it's possible, even with a death star?

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

It's easy, all you need are either Replicators

Or Mantrid Drones

Or 7-90 Drones

Borg are for n00bs!
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Replicator (like on star trek) always bugged me. Where are all the raw materials coming from. Does the crew defecate that much quantity.
      The never talk about scooping the materials from space or loading raw materials at dock. IT has to come from somewhere.

ITs' alwasy about the logistics.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
        It's easy, all you need are either Replicators

Or Mantrid Drones

Or 7-90 Drones

Borg are for n00bs!
        You just poasted pictures from Lexx.

That show literally kept me alive at one time back when it was on SciFi Channel in the early 2000's (My memory is failing so that is the best I can do.) I was living in a trap house, abandoned by all friends and family. I had no direction and no hope. Looking forward to watching an episode of Lexx was like a dream come true. I used to soemtimes cry when the opening music started.

SOMETIMES I STILL DO.

Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

My, that last one looks awfully phallic
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Dammit I just teared up. Time to pull myself together again.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Well, I think this depend a lot on the empires ability to conquer other planets.
              And this, I think, depends a lot on the relative tech level and the question, how united/fractured the aliens on the other planet are.

We have good example in our own history:
              The conquistadors

They, in a way, faced similar problems to space invaders:
              they were far from home with no support ships coming. They had no timely means of communication.
              They had only a handful of men. And the "alien" empires on the other continent had well established empires that controlled the continent.

But they had 2 advantages:
              1. Technological superiority (firearms, renaissance armor and the use of horses)
              2. (especially in cse of Cortez) Small indigenous tribes that were friendly and could be persuded to act as auxiliary troops in order to wage war against the large empires

So, what I think is that it may very well be possible for a spacefaring empires to conquer other planets, if you wage war against technological inferior nations and, ideally, have the planet split into many nations (of which you may be able to persuade some to support you/wage war on your side.

It may be very difficulty, if not impossible, if the population of the other planet is on a similar tech level and/or form a united planetwide government.
              Unless, maybe, you are able to develope some WMDs that you are able to use on the planet ... for example a biological weapon that is especially adapted to the alien physiology, spreads fast and for which the alien scientists don't find a cure in time
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

A lot of good points, especially persuasion of auxiliary troops.

Planet wide weapons have a problem. What if you have already taken 1/2 the planet. You're not going to destroy the half you control.

And yes worlds will have different tech levels but information flows freely and quickly as the internet has proven quite well.

And what percentage did the conquistadors actually control.

Think of all the resource the US could bring to bear. Do you think we could easily conquer and hold the whole earth?
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post

Think of all the resource the US could bring to bear. Do you think we could easily conquer and hold the whole earth?
                  By the reckless use of WMDs (i.e. glassing the other countries via lost of ICBMs) probably yes (but only if you have the means to intercept any nuclear retaiatory strikes, for exampl by russia, so that your country remains the only country with an intact military supporting infrasttructure).

If we tak about a conventional war ... it depends.
                  Lets say you would be able to conquer earth 1-3 countries at a time ... and also would be able to succcessfully subdue its inhabitants and press them into your own services ... then it may be possible. With each country you conquer, you also get access to its natural resources, as well as its population (which might be used as workers and also might be a source for manpowr for additional armies (and/or polic forces that are employed for peacekeeping in the country)). But it depends a lot on how rebellious the conquered countries are and/or how effectively you are able to do suveillance on the conquered population (in order to thwart any rebellious movements before they become a danger)

If, however, the USA stand alone in a conventional war against the united forces of the rest of the world, then they might most probably fail
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yes, the level of rebellious nature is critical.
                    I think Afghanistan is the perfect example. Would it be possible to conquer and hold it. The Russians couldn't and we've been mired there for a long time. We might be able to control the major cities but beyond that.......THink of the resources we've committed for just this one little hell hole.

Think of this multiplied on every planet.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yep, it may depend a lot on the question in what far you are able to automatice the garrisioning/suppression of the local population.
                      For example by employng robotts instead of organic troops ... and maybe AI/machine learning algorithms for finding sources of rebellious activity and react accordingly.

It may also depend on the question if/how effectively you may intentionally keep the conquered population at a lower tech level.
                      Think of the districts in "The Hunger Games", or of the human population in the 80s SciFi-Series The Tripods (in the latter series the humans were not only kept at a medieval tech level by their alien overlords, but each human also received an implant (a cap) upon reaching teenage age, which suppresses all creativity and all thoughts of rebellion)
                      (actually, in The Tripods even the means of conquest of earth were very subtle ... they took control of the global TV programs and slowly influenced the population via subliminal signals sent over those programs, into voluntarily getting their first series of "caps". When the rest of the world became suspicious, it was already too late, as a minority of humans stood against the majority (with huge capped armies) ... so that only a few uncaped humans remained and tried more to survive than to actually rebel against the alien masters)
                      Last edited by Proteus_MST; December 18, 2017, 17:22.

Comment

Short of some type of mind control, I wouldn't bet on a high probability. ESPECIALLY with the size of the Galaxy.
                        Especially like the First Order was trying to accomplish it. It just didn't have the resources
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Exactly how it was done in "The Tripods".
                          Upon receiving your cap at the age of 14 you would be subdued into becoming a simple work drone ho wouldn't think of rebellion.

And receiving a cap (which would be done by a tripod (one of he Mechas of the Masters) itself) was seen as an honor and an important step into becoming an adult ,
                          therefore it was guarateed, that parents would willingly give thir kids to the capping ceremony (and most kids would willingly submit to the ceremony)

Comment

I conquered two galaxies last Sunday. Then I got bored and went home.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nobody will conquer the galaxy, but everyone will brag about it, we even got Ms Universe here on our little speck of dust

Kinda interesting question, are "we" too moral or not moral enough and what is moral? Conquering the galaxy would be a test, how do you conquer all those beings 'morally'? Maybe the 'winner' doesn't find God, they'd find hell instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X